6.6.0r4 spinning beachball with Nikon9000

Problems with OSX 10.x

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

stevens
Visitor

6.6.0r4 spinning beachball with Nikon9000

Postby stevens » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm

I "upgraded" recently from 6.6.0r3a to 6.6.0r4 and have been unable to do a Job Manager run batch scan. I create a job of 5
slides, enable MultiExposure and iSRD, select all the items in the job and click OK. SF 6.6.0r4 makes the 3 passes (adjusment,
exposure pass1, exposure pass2), performs the iSRD processing and then at the point where the file should be written to disc
I get a spinning beachball and have to FORCE QUITE Silverfast Ai6.6.0r4. THEN after several attempts to run SF again (can hang
at the scanning for devices step) try the job again. Spinning beachball.

What I have done:

trashed preferences - no change

rebooted the system - no change

repaired permissions - no change

reinstalled SF 6.6.0r4 twice - no change

all was working fine with 6.6.0r3a - is that still available for download? I have 6.6.0r3 on the CD - I will try that and see what
happens.

HOWEVER - I can "preview" and "scan" a SINGLE slide fine (once SF is up and running and manages to find the scanner).

Just can't do scans (even a single image) from the Job Manager without getting a spinning beach ball just before the file should
be written to disk.

This is on a 8-core MacPro running OSX 10.5 and Nikon 9000 scanner.

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: 6.6.0r4 spinning beachball with Nikon9000

Postby LSI_Luebker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Dear Stevens,

I just tested what you have done and was not able to recreate the issue here on my testing MacPro with nearly the same software setup.
Please contact our support stuff so we could figure it out together.

best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

stevens
Visitor

Postby stevens » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 pm

The next evening I tried to reproduce the problem on the same system. The problem with the job manager was not encountered.

One thing I have noticed is that the "searching for devices" can take a very long time. If I leave the system alone then after a
minute or two SF will come up and run OK. But using force quit will leave something in condition where SF won't come up until
after many attempts.

There seems to be race condition somewhere. Some days everything works fine without problems. Some days almost nothing
works.

Sorry to bother you with a problem that is so intermittent. If it happens again I will submit a support request and ask what info
they need to look into the problem.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 am

Dear Stevens,

it could be that you started SilverFast just after starting the scanner when it is not fully initialised(the green light is still flashing).

best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

stevens
Visitor

Postby stevens » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 pm

The light was not blinking - and the slide tray was loaded and not moving. On the same system I have a Microtek 9800XL (with
SF Ai6 of course ;)) and never see a beachball at any time.

The problem appears to not happen consistently. I will monitor the situation and if it happens again I will contact support
for assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Return to “OSX - Problems”