Colour Management Options

All problems are not listed anywhere

Moderator: LSI_Ketelhohn

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Colour Management Options

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Did a search, didn't find anything overly useful so am posting a new question.

SF 6.5.5r2, Ai Studo ME IT8 is the version on an Epson V750 scanner.

Several colour management options on the CMS tab are greyed out and I can't find out how to activate them.

Input>Internal, Scanner>Reflective and Scanner>Transparency are all greyed out. How do I activate these? I've tried launching SF from the Import menu of PS and as a standalone. No joy.

I also have a question about workflow that doesn't seem to be answered in the user guide and I didn't find an answer in the forum search. My current workflow is to scan my film and embed a colour profile (ProPhoto RGB). When I open the image in PS, my first step is to assign the calibration profile for the scanner that was created using the IT8 Calibration routine in order to correct colours. If the Scanner>Transparency and Scanner>Reflective CMS options were active and I selected my scanner's calibration profile would the colours be automatically corrected and could I skip the step of assigning the scanner profile in PS?

Thanks.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:14 am

BobF,

I am making the assumption that you are using a PC Vs a Mac.

Try running SF Launcher and right mouse clicking on the SilverFast button. This will take you to the Service Dialog box where you will find a button to remove the prefs. After removing the prefs close and restart SilverFast and take another look at the CMS tab in the options.
[img83f5eae]http://www.silverfast.com/img/forum/service.gif[/img83f5eae]

In regards to your workflow, you should not have to change your color space in Photoshop if you set it to what you want and embed it in SilverFast.
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby BobF » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 am

Thanks Rag. I did remove the Prefs file and I now have CMS options on positive film but still not on neg. film.

Agreed on the workflow if I can get the CMS options working properly.

Appreciate the help.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 am

BobF,

When you select negative/transparency on the general tab and then go into options you will be able to access those CMS settings.
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby BobF » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:04 pm

Yep, I understand that's the way it's [i3dd4cf4]supposed[/i3dd4cf4] to work. When I select Transparency/Positive in the General tab and then go into the Options>CMS Input>Internal is active in the Color Management Section and I am then able to select the scanner profile from the Scanner>Transparency dropdown menu in Profiles for ICM. When I select Transparency/Negative; however, Input>Internal becomes greyed out and the Scanner>Transparency dropdown menu also becomes greyed out and inactive.

It appears to be a bug that LS hasn't fixed.

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:23 am

That is because an IT8 profile is worthless for negatives. The orange mask + inversion is required to create the positive image on the screen. That is why you do not have the option and why negatives can be very difficult to get correct.

IT8 profiling works for reflective or positive transparencies where you can actually measure against a known - clear base or "white" paper. With a neg that is not possible and is dependent on the film processing.

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:01 am

That does make some sense. But it basically throws the idea of colour management out the window for neg. film which is somewhat odd. Silverfast does the inversion (if you scan in neg. mode rather than pos. or HDR) and filters out the mask based on the canned film profiles provided and at that point colour is colour so the scanner profile should still be able to be used to correct for the scanner's imperfect rendering of colours I would have thought.

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:28 pm

It is one ofthe main reasons that commercial imaging companies have used positives for years - easier to control

Return to “All other problems”