Kodak Ultra Color 400 profile

Problems with HiRePP®, NegaFix or profiles

ltitle
Visitor

Kodak Ultra Color 400 profile

Postby ltitle » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:42 pm

I see a few requests for Kodak UC 100, but it does not seem there is a profile available. Similarly, I use Kodak Ultra Color 400 (UC 400) primarily for my color work and was wondering if anyone has produced their own customized profile for any of the ultracolor negatives ? Does Silverfast have any plans on expanding the list to include this film ?

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:56 pm

Dear ltitle

thank you for your interest in LaserSoft Imaging's software products.
I did have the "Kodak UC 100" added to the requested film material Negafix profile list.
However, a decision whether we will or won't actually develop according profiles is yet to be made. The result shall then be posted in this very thread.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- Manager Technical Support, LaserSoft Imaging AG -

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Kodak Ultra 100

Postby davidl3541 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:47 am

I understand that Lasersoft is considering adding a Negafix profile for Kodak Ultra 100. If you do not, can you tell me which current profile is similar to this film and could be used with some adjustment? Also, are you adding a profile for Ultra 400?

Best regards,

David L

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 am

Dear David

possibly all of them: Ultra 100, 200, 400
BTW, which scanner(s) do you use?

Have a very fine weekend!
Sonny
- tech supp, LSI AG -

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby davidl3541 » Fri May 12, 2006 8:54 am

Hello;

I have the Canoscan 9950f which does a great job!

So, if I understand correctly you are still investigating the possibility of creating profiles for the Kodak Ultras?

Best regards,

David L

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Fri May 12, 2006 9:08 am

Exactly =)

mmetter
Visitor

Did they get developed

Postby mmetter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Did these profiles get developed in the end. If not then has anyone else already edited a profile that fixes up these films?

TheAudioDoc
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Re: Kodak Ultra Color 400 profile

Postby TheAudioDoc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Kodak's naming convention for film can be very confusing, as names of various emulsions change depending on country. I believe the original question was concerning Kodak Professional UC 400 sold in the USA. I have used this film quite a bit as a general purpose film as well as Kodak Professional UC 100. That is when I'm not using Professional film in the Portra series. I understand (and can't verify) that there was a Ultra Colour 100, 200, and 400 sold in Europe, but these were recently discontinued. I have no idea if these films are the same emulsion as the US Ultra Color, though to my knowledge no UC 200 has ever been sold in the US.

Anyway, if one checks the films included in SF's Negafix list, UC100 has been added since the original question was posted -- UC400 has not. Just for edification, Kodak Professional UC 400 is widely sold throughout the US by Wallmart, so, at least in the US market, there is a lot of this film out there, especially with many of the consumer grade films being discontinued.

My question is, in light of the confusion caused by Kodak's naming conventions, is the UC 100 profile for the US marketed, Professional UC 100? And is LaserSoft still considering adding a profile for the US marketed UC 400?

Thanks,

Kelly

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 am

Dear Kelly
Dear Mmetter
Dear David
Dear Ltitle
Dear SilverFast users,

Some time ago we announced the possibility of creating NegaFix profiles for the Kodak emulsions UC 100, 200 and 400.
Unfortunately we can not (and will not) include the emulsions for the Kodak UC 200 or UC 400.
The reason for this, is that the targets needed for the creation of this profiles are not available in the market at the moment.

However, for those of you who want to scan a film which profile is not included in the NegaFix dialog, you can use the generic profile in NegaFix (the one by default when no film type is chosen) in combination with the expert mode to create your own curves and profiles for the desired film emulsions.
The NegaFix chapter can be downloaded here:

http://www.silverfast.com/download/docs ... Fix-en.pdf

a video clip can be seen here (to download the video, right click on the link and choose the option "save link as"):

http://www.silverfast.com/download/movi ... -08-09.mov

* We are updating our NegaFix profiles for all scanners. If yours does not include the mentioned profile at the moment (Kodak UC 100), we will include it in the near future.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

TheAudioDoc
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby TheAudioDoc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks very much for the update, Alejandro! And thanks for the links to the information on setting up negafix for films not profiled.

I'm still thinking this UC 100 (Ultra Colour) is not the same emultion as the film sold in the US as Pro Ultra Color 100UC and 400UC -- never was a 200UC! Here's the link to this film on Kodak professional's site: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/ultraColor/main.jhtml?id=0.2.26.14.7.16&lc=en

100UC and 400UC are alive and well (relatively, of course) in the USA while as I mentioned, I believe the European emultion UC 100, UC 200, and UC 400 have been discontinued. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I suppose I should ask Kodak about what the differences are, if any. By the way, my experience scanning 400UC has been good (I'm not an expert by any means) and this was the film recommended to me specifically by Kodak as the one they most highly recommended for hybrid photographers like myself that shoot film and scan -- for what it's worth.

Thanks,

Kelly

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 am

Dear Kelly,

Thanks for your information and the link, I have checked that out. I am affraid I am not the right person to answer your questions in this case, they go beyond my knowledge of what Kodak decides to do or how do they decide to market their products.

What I can really tell is that there is a UC 200, as you might know, film manufacturers do not sale all their emulsions everywhere and I suspect, Kodak decided to put this into the european market only. A similar case you might find with the Pro Image 100 which is sold only in Latin America.

They realeased the 200 UC under different names, in england is called "Kodak 200 UC Elite Pro", where as here in Germany it is sold under the name of: "Kodak Elite Color 200 UC".

Check the following forum out:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-for ... 31149.html

I believe it would be better if you can directly contact someone from Kodak for further details.

thanks for your contribution

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby davidl3541 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:22 am

Hello Alejandro and Sonny:

Thank you for adding Kodak UC100 and Fuji PRO 160 (S/C) to the Negafix profiles. I look forward to scanning my films and trying these profiles.

Regards,

DavidL

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 am

Dear David,

We are working hard to provide our customers with all emulsions, within the possibilities of every scanner and the target providers.
If the missing profiles are not included, they will surely be there in the future updates to be released, we have a team of people working exclusively on completing the film sets in the NegaFix dialog.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

xblue
Visitor

Kodak Ultra Color 200 profile

Postby xblue » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi developers.

it looks like the development of further kodak profiles has been stopped.
Do we/the users have a change to wait for a UC200 films and or the older Ektar200 films?

I wait month for month - but one time I have to scan all my films...

kind regards
Dirk

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 am

Dear xblue,

I am quoting myself to provide you with an answer:

LSI_Morales wrote:Dear Kelly
Dear Mmetter
Dear David
Dear Ltitle
Dear SilverFast users,

Some time ago we announced the possibility of creating NegaFix profiles for the Kodak emulsions UC 100, 200 and 400.
Unfortunately we can not (and will not) include the emulsions for the Kodak UC 200 or UC 400.
The reason for this, is that the targets needed for the creation of this profiles are not available in the market at the moment.

However, for those of you who want to scan a film which profile is not included in the NegaFix dialog, you can use the generic profile in NegaFix (the one by default when no film type is chosen) in combination with the expert mode to create your own curves and profiles for the desired film emulsions.
The NegaFix chapter can be downloaded here:

http://www.silverfast.com/download/docs ... Fix-en.pdf

a video clip can be seen here (to download the video, right click on the link and choose the option "save link as"):

http://www.silverfast.com/download/movi ... -08-09.mov

* We are updating our NegaFix profiles for all scanners. If yours does not include the mentioned profile at the moment (Kodak UC 100), we will include it in the near future.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience

Best regards

Unfortunately we do not produce the targets to make the calibration and the company who does it does not have the desired emulsions, without this it is not possible to provide further development of these as well as other emulsions.

Instead you can create your own NegaFix profiles if you have SilverFast Ai or Ai Studio, check the links posted in a previous entry.

Thanks for your understanding and an apology for any inconvenience it might cause.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Return to “HiRePP® - NegaFix - Profiles”