Sepia toning BW files

General topics about imaging

Big Fish
SilverFast Beginner

Sepia toning BW files

Postby Big Fish » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Greetings....

I am scanning BW negatives ( actuallly old glass plates) for large format fine art printing. I want to sepia tone the files(prints). In Photo Shop Elements 5 I used the color variations with decreasing and increasing the blue approach. I understand that in PSC2 you can change the RGB profile to 112,66,20, or CMYK 39,69,100,41 and HSL 30,82%,44%. Would anyone be kind enough to explain how to do this or any other method of sepia toning. I am using an Epson 750 Pro and understand the advanced BW can be used for sepia toning. Any help will appreciated.

Big Fish

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Sepia toning BW files

Postby RAG » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 pm

In Photoshop CS2 there is a default action that you are able to run to get a sepia toned image, though you may want to fine tune the results. By reviewing the action you will be able to see one of the possible methods. The newer versions of Photoshop allow you to use the non-destructive Camera RAW plug-in to create B&W, Duo Tone, and Sepia Tone images using sliders. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.x also allows you to do this non-destructively. There are numerous online videos and tutorials for both. A good starting point would be Adobe's web site.

Hope this helps!
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Big Fish
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Big Fish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for info. I will follow your suggestions.

Big Fish
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Big Fish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm

HI...

This a follow up to my original post regarding sepia toning BW prints. Obviously, the final look over the sepia toned image is up to you. I continue to find different ways so let me report findings that I think work. A simple approach is in PSE5 or CS2.

This from Sue Chastain:
1. Open the image.
2. If in color, go to enhance>adjust Color>Remove Color.
3. If in greyscale, go to Image>Mode>RGB color.
4. Adjust color intensity slider one notch less than the middle.
5. Decrease Blue once.
6.Increase Red once.
&. Click OK

In Silverfast on the settings screen:
R 112
G 66
B20
CMYK 39,69,100,41
HEX# 704214
HSV: 30degrees, 82%, 44%

You can also play with numbers.

Third way which seems to satisfy me at this time is the Epson BW Advanced on the printer.
1. Select Print.
2. After selecting media type, select No color Management.
3. Select Advanced BW.
4. Select Properties> Sepia> dark or darker.
5. You also a color wheel cursor to adjust to your liking with two default images(female head shot) allowing further adjustment in toning, shadows, etc.

It's simple and works well for what I need. It would be nice to your image in the default image box...maybe need version.

You also play with photo filers on layers pallette with has two sepia filters. Adjust layer, channel mixer, monochrome and adjust RGB. Flatten layer.

Do a test first. I usually make the BW image about 5-10% darker and 2-5% more contrast before printing sepia. Choosing the right paper is a whole other discussion.
I'll keep you posted if I find other methods.

President_LSI
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby President_LSI » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Dear SilverFast-User,

creating Sepia tones in SilverFast is quite easy.

Follow the instructions of following movie: https://www.silverfast.com/download/movi ... -06-20.mov

best regards

Karl-Heinz Zahorsky
President & CEO
LaserSoft Imaging AG

Return to “Imaging in general”