Looking into Scanning 110 negative strips, again.

General topics about imaging

heinz
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Looking into Scanning 110 negative strips, again.

Postby heinz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:44 am

I would like to take another crack at scanning some 110 negs and am wondering if anyone has some hints.
I last tried some 3+ years ago so I thought I'd check to see if there are some fresh hints available.

At my disposal I have a Nikon LS4000ED film scanner with current SF IT8 Studio license.
I also have an Epson flatbed scanner with an older version of SF.

Have done some experimenting with the flatbed with Epson Scan but far from satisfied with the results.

Any hints would be very much appreciated.

TIA,

Heinz

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Looking into Scanning 110 negative strips, again.

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Dear Heinz

I could not find any information nor film holder for scanning 110 mm stripes for your Nikon scanner (I guess it was created with 35 mm film in mind), and I believe it would be a problem to load the 110 mm stripes with the 35mm film holder, I believe the main problem would be the focusing (in case you can put the stripe in the film holder), but in this test you might get to destroy your film stripes or to jam your film holder.

I would suggest you try scanning with the flat bed scanner or if this stripes are too valuable I would recommend you to send this to a drum scanner professional, most likely they will scan your stripes with the highest quality available.

I would wait comments and suggestions from other users who might have experience scanning 110 mm film stripes

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Hey,

I have 110 negatives as well. In fact I have several pictures from my honeymoon taken with my Pentax 110 Auto. I have an Epson scanner and tried various methods of scanning. In the end I got the best results by placing the negative directly on the scanner without a holder, which surprised the heck out of me because of everything I had read and heard about the scanning "sweet spot". Give it a try, it may work for you as well, right?
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

heinz
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby heinz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Rag,

Did you use Epson Scan or SilverFast?

Where did you position the strip on the glass, I.e. normal top/right corner or elsewhere?

Heinz

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 pm

I used SilverFast of course. My 4990 scanner came with a Mylar template for scanning large negatives. It has a notch at the top for the scanner registration. I put the template in place and then just placed the negative in the visual center of the glass.
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Return to “Imaging in general”