Printer Calibration Option - SOLVED

flatbed scanners for Epson

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Printer Calibration Option - SOLVED

Postby BobF » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Recently attempted to upgrade to the version which supports printer calibration. For $100, I figured it was worth a shot. Can't get it to work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times. I've reserialised all three times and done a new IT8 calibration each time as is supposed to be done to activate the Printer Calibration option. I've been back and forth with LS tech support to no avail. As usual, LS tech support is useless. They aren't even responding any longer. My platform is as follows:

WinXP SP2
Epson V750 Pro
Silverfast 6.6.0r.1
Photoshop CS3

I'm running Silverfast as an import module through PS.

Anyone else have a similar problem and find a solution? I've already emailed sales asking about a refund of the purchase price.

Thanks.

EDIT: I use a transparency target to calibrate my scanner. I discovered by accident that the scanner must be in Reflective mode for the Printer Calibration icon to be visible. This is a serious programming glitch.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Dear Bob F,

in the PrinterProfiling implemented in SilverFast, the scanner is used to measure the color patches printed with the printer to be profiled.

Therefore, the scanner must be IT8-profiled in Reflective mode, otherwise it would not be possible to measure the printed chart.

Best regards,
Martin

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby BobF » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm sorry Martin, but that shouldn't matter. If I calibrate the scanner in Transparency mode, save that profile and then use that profile in the Options>CMS>Profiles for ICM>Scanner (Reflective) with ICM selected for Input>Internal under Colour Management, then the ICC profile I created with the transparency target should be applied to reflective scans.

There should be no difference between using a reflective target or transmissive target. The scanner reads the colours on the target, the colours as read are compared to the LUT and a set of error/correction factors is created which is the ICC profile. What film stock is used or whether the target is reflective or transmissive should not matter.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Dear Bob,

in am sorry, but I need to say, that the material of the IT8 chart you are using for calibration indeed matters! What the IT8-calibration profiles is not only the scanner, but in fact the combination (!) of the scanner and the material and the dyes present in your relective/transparency target.

High-End users therefore generate ICC scanner profiles for the same scanner, but separately for different materials they want to scan (e.g. by using IT8 charts printed on both, Kodak and Fuji films).

This difference is for the normal user relevant in the distinction of ICC profiles for reflective and transparency mode.

Please take into account that a color (like light, the CCD filters etc., too) should in fact be described by a spectral distribution of reflectance or transmission, and not only by the three values of a Lab (or even RGB) value. Think of effects like metamerism, where two spectrally different colors may appear identical or different, depending on the light sources under which it is viewed.

Best regards,
Martin

Return to “Epson”