Speed Issues

flatbed scanners for Epson

BobF
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Speed Issues

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 am

I've begun to scan some old film since updating my scanner to the V750.

Using SF 6.5.5r2, Epson V750, 4800 dpi, 35mm film, no Ice, no AACO, ME 2X. Scanner is connected to a computer which acts as a server and has a P4 2.4GHz processor and 512MB of RAM. Scanner is accessed from server on production computer via USB Over Network port sharing software, so the server is doing the work. Production computer has dual core 1.8GHZ processor with 4GB of DDR2 dual channel RAM. I'm using the import via Photoshop (CS2) routine. I've got the boot.ini switch turned on so PS can access up to 3GB of RAM. My scratch disk is a separate drive from the drive the app. is installed on and that the OS is installed on. The scratch disk has in excess of 150GB of free space. The scratch disk for SF is the same drive as the scratch disk for PS. PS resides on the production computer, not the server.

The problem I'm experiencing since upgrading to the latest version of SF today is incredibly slow scan or post-scan processing speeds. It was not a a problem with the earlier version of SF 6.5 I was using. The scanner makes the scan passes quickly enough but then after the 2 scan passes, goes through a process that appears as RGB Scanning in PS which takes 20 to 30 minutes PER FRAME.

Any thoughts on what's happening and what's causing the speed issue? As I said, this is happening after the 2 scanning passes and seems to be related, somehow, to the import of the file into PS. Is it potentially an issue with the transfer of the file over the USB connection from the server to the production computer? If so, then why wouldn't it have been a problem with the previous version of SF 6.5?

Thanks.

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Dear BobF

if the image also had been rotated, it might have been a bug (checkout the version history:
http://www.silverfast.com/version_history/en.html ), so updating to 6.5.5r3 might help.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- Manager Technical Support, LaserSoft Imaging AG -

Return to “Epson”