Insufficient documentation for Epson 4870 Silverfast Ai

flatbed scanners for Epson

avpfoto
Visitor

Insufficient documentation for Epson 4870 Silverfast Ai

Postby avpfoto » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:16 am

What is the story with the lack of documentation on the download update to Silverfast Ai ver 6.4.0r9 driver???? I can't understand why the interface is so nonintuitive and idiosyncratic. Sort of like a Plaubel camera made in 1931. I cannot find out anything about the Digital Ice button and its features, let alone why it won't activate while attempting to scan with the Epson 4870 PRO. Is anyone else experiencing this with Silverfast? Reminds me of my dealings with VW of America. There are no problems found here is the typical response. I'm pissed, damn it.:o

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:12 pm

Dear Avpfoto,

the ICE Button in SilverFast is greyed out by default. If it is activated it is colored and will be used as long as it is activated.

But just for safety - did you try the latest version 6.4.0r9x for you scanner, or an earlier one ?

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

RE: Insufficient documentation for Epson 4870 Silverfast Ai

Postby RAG » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:33 pm

avpfoto,

Assuming you purchased the product new or at least from a reliable source it should have come with enough documentation to explain how Digital Ice works in AI.

I have been using my 4870 with AI for some time without problems beyond my lack of knowledge on the subject of restoring photos.

If you haven't already I highly recommend purchasing the SilverFast Guide book. It is worth the money in general terms.

Epson is the other source I would recommend for information.
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:39 pm

Dear Rag,

thank you for your comment - and yes the Taz Tally guide is worth it. Especially for users who are searching direct solutions for the problems.
A manual of course will always describe all functions for e.g. of a car.
But never tells you how to drive it.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

avpfoto
Visitor

Insufficient documentation for 4870 and Silverfast setup

Postby avpfoto » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:23 am

Just to follow up with the Silverfast settings documentation for Epson 4870 scanner; I have returned to this forum to reiterate my feeling that Silverfast is not being candid about the documentation for support of various devices it supports. I have to play with my Epson 4870's Silverfast driver setup each time I reload it, I still can't find a source that shows recommended calibration setup for use with reflective and transparency films. I know that Epson published a white paper of sorts on this and is availabe somewhere in PDF.

There shouldn't be a need for exhaustive searches for this info. It should be available IN THE MANUAL. Period.

Update and Comment; Thanks for the tip about buying from a reputable dealer and then going out and buying a Book to use my scanner, por favor...I have found the pdf file for Settings in Lasersoft Silverfast with use with EPSON 4870 scanner, it is buried in the support pages for the 3200 scanner and is named, pr32phcmw.pdf. Thanks for all the useful information about your marketing though.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:00 am

avpfoto,

I don't work for SilverFast, but I do own and use SilverFast with my Epson 4870 scanner. I was just trying to help! :(

Thanks for the tip on the location of that PDF, because I never saw it and would not have looked myself. :D

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Dear customers,

Thanx a lot for the input and well it looks everybody seems to be satisfied - right ? :P

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:07 pm

That statement holds true for me, thanks!

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:57 am

Hopefully avpfoto,

agrees also :lol:
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

MikeD56
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

ICE how to make it work??

Postby MikeD56 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:24 pm

I'm also having a problem figuring out how to use ICE with SilverFast Ai. I have both a 4870 Pro and Nikon with ICE and there is simply no information on how to make it work in Ai. Please post a sentence or two how to use it. I can click the button and change it from grey to color to IV but what then?? If I prescan no change. If I scan the resulting image doesn't seem to be ICE processed. What am I doing wrong???
Thanks
Mike

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:47 pm

MikeD56,

Once you click the button and change it from gay to color all you do is the final scan. Pay attention to what the scan dialog tells you during the scan process and you will see that it is in fact doing two scans and then a compilation of those scans based on the results of ICE.

Hope this helps!

MikeD56
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Thanks for the info

Postby MikeD56 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Rag
Thanks for the info. I finally firgured it out a little bit ago. I was thrown by the fact that there is no preview like most other actions have. Thus I figured it was not working. I guess the motto should be experiment more post less. How ever I think a bit more on the subject in the FAQ or some other location could keep others from the same frustration.
Agin thanks for the repy
Thanks

Mike

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:47 am

Dear customers,

the ICE function will work as the button is colored (or if possible) there appears a little symbol on it which is for the 1st and 2nd step of ICE.

Our new function coming up iSRD will able to show which scratches will be touched and which won't.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

tucsonjohncc
Visitor

Postby tucsonjohncc » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:02 am

I just found this string and I want to say that I agree with comments about lack of documentation and the need for better info on Silverfast.

I have the Silverfast book and printed out the manual. I find it very confusing and in some cases contradictory. I know the software is undoubtedly very good, but it doesn't mean we should all have to search & search for the answers.
Video editing with iMovie on a G4/800dual.
I am learning to use an Epson 4870--will need help. I want to scan & edit my slides & negatives of 50 years??

Return to “Epson”