manual focus with SilverFast 8?

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

HSilberman
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon CoolScan 9000
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

manual focus with SilverFast 8?

Postby HSilberman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:52 pm

I currently use SilverFast (NikonSF) 6.6.2r3 on my MacPro version 10.6.8 . I have downloaded SilverFast 8 to see how it works with my

Nikon Coolscan 9000. It all seems to work fine but I do not see a button/icon for Focus-Settings and Focus Preview. I have looked in

preferences and tried every button on the software interface. Where is this "button" ? Has it been eliminated?

Henri Silberman

Oakland, CA USA

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: manual focus with SilverFast 8?

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

Hello Henri

No, we have not elliminated it. The manual focus tool is in the implementation/test stage and will soon be available for the Nikon scanners

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

HSilberman
Visitor

Postby HSilberman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:19 am

Hi Alejandro Morales,

As the manual focus is an essential tool for me when I'm scanning should I wait to buy SilverFast 8 until you have installed this function in the operating software or buy it now because my upgrade discount for SilverFast 8 is only available through December and then wait for the manual button software update. What I'm asking really is when will the manual focus control be available?

Thanks ,

Henri Silberman
Oakland, CA USA
www.henrisilberman.com

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:53 am

Hello Henri

If you really "have to" upgrade (let's say because you upgraded to OS 10.7 Lion). Then I would suggest you do it now.
If you are still working with version 6.6 in a a compatible operating system and you absolutely need this tool, then I recommend you do not upgrade now.
I believe the Manual focusing tool will be available in November or December. Richt now It is in the test stage and fine tuning.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

HSilberman
Visitor

Postby HSilberman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello LSI_Morales,

Has the manual focusing tool been added to SilverFast 8 yet? This a very essential tool for me in my workflow for scanning medium
format film in CoolScan 9000. Sharpness is very important to me as my images need to have critical clarity when they enlarged to a very big size. Google my name and you will see what i'm talking about

My dilemma is that my 50% upgrade discount is only available until the end of December for SilverFast 8. I am working in SilverFast 6 and it's working fine but I do Like SilverFast 8 better except I am not able to focus.
Please advise.

Thanks,

Henri Silberman

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Henri,

We are working on this right now, I have tested the focus myself but we have found some issues which are still to be corrected. I believe the focus feature will not be available before January 2012.
HSilberman wrote:My dilemma is that my 50% upgrade discount is only available until the end of December for SilverFast 8. I am working in SilverFast 6 and it's working fine but I do Like SilverFast 8 better except I am not able to focus.
Please advise.

We are continually working on improving the application, if you purchase the upgrade now, your serial for version 6 will be invalid for downloads, however the software you have installed in your machine will continue to work locally without issues.
We are also contemplating the possibility of extending the grace period for some days.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

stevens
Visitor

Postby stevens » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 pm

It seems several features/capabilities of Silverfast 6.6 are not present or do not work in Silverfast 8 (I have two tickets open at this time). I think it would be a very good idea to defer the disabling of the Silverfast 6.6 serial number (so that it could be redownloaded if necessary) UNTIL Silverfast 8 is more mature (documentation created, features make operable again, etc).

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Steven

stevens wrote: I think it would be a very good idea to defer the disabling of the Silverfast 6.6 serial number (so that it could be redownloaded if necessary) UNTIL Silverfast 8 is more mature (documentation created, features make operable again, etc).

SilverFast 6 and SilverFast 8 are two different products, most people get their upgrade at a discounted price, one of the conditions for the discount is to give up the serial number of the previous version.

Hence we do not recommend uninstalling SilverFast 6 nor changing your stable system until the new version have been tested (which is offered as a Demo), based on the test outcomes, users can decide whether or not the new version is suitable and if they proceed to replace their system.

Since Apple dropped support for Power PC compatible programs, we had to come up with a quick solution which allows early adopters to work with the new operating system. That is how SilverFast 8 had to be created from ground up in a record time.

We are aware of the present issues and are working at 200% of our capacities and resources to solve them. If this situation is not ideal for many of you, please accept our apologies for any inconveniences.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

HSilberman
Visitor

Postby HSilberman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Mr. Morales,

With all due respect, you still haven't answered my original question: When you have completed testing of the manual focus adjustment in SilverFast 8 and you have a working version for purchase, will the discount still be available to me?
It's not a complete product as it is now.
I look forward to hearing from you,

Thanks for your attention,

Henri Silberman

ps I would be willing to help Beta test it with you.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 am

Hello Mr. Silberman

HSilberman wrote:When you have completed testing of the manual focus adjustment in SilverFast 8 and you have a working version for purchase, will the discount still be available to me?

I am not the person who decides the pricing policies, hence I can not tell exactly if it is going to be like that. According to our marketing and sales people, the company is contemplating the possibility of extending the grace period, most likely there will be information related by next week.

If it is not the case discounts are always available for customers with a LaserSoft Imaging product (perhaps not the same percentage).

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

HSilberman
Visitor

Postby HSilberman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 am

Hello LSI_Morales,

Just an update-I did buy SilverFast 8 back in 2011 just to have the most current program. Has manual focus been added for Nikon Coolscan 9000?

Thanks,

Henri Silberman

Oakland,CA

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Dear mr Silberman,

Yes, manual focus is now available for Nikon devices.

kind regards,
Arne ketelhohn.

martinbrading
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon 9000 coolscan
Epson V750

Postby martinbrading » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I am using a recently aquired Nikon 9000 coolscan with Silverfast Studio 8 on a mac running 10.6.8

When I use a fluid mount I cant seem to get the focus to work very well, either in manual or auto. It never seems to be quite sharp and I have to try several different focus spots in the image until I get the grain sharpish. The manual focus button doesnt seem to help. Your online focus tutorial is for 6.6 which seems to work differently.

I also dont understand the Update button which seems to give me a very fuzzy image with bleached out colours

Martin Brading
New York

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Dear Mr Brading,

To use the manual focus click the focus button and select manual Focus.

Now chose a position in your image where you can easily see if the image is sharp.
A contrast boarder works best.
The Nikon LS 9000 will now try to automatically focus at that position.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-17 um 16.49.17.png
Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-17 um 16.49.17.png (174.54 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

The grey triangle marker shows the position the Nikon detected as being sharp.
(This is nothing we can influence the automatic focus is done by the scanner)
Doing a manual focus now requires a little trial and error.
The blue triangle allows you to raise and lower the focus.
Pressing "Update" will then execute a new scan with the new focus setting.

Pressing "Auto" will restart the automatic focus process.

You can always click the "point" button to select a new focus point to check your value.

Pressing OK will finally store the new focus value for the final scan.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Nikon”