Nikon scanner freezes when ejecting film

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Nikon scanner freezes when ejecting film

Postby Mallen » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:50 pm

I have been unable to get my Nikon 4000 ED to work properly with Silverfast v6.5.1r2 on my new Intil-Mac Mac Pro running OS X 10.4.10. The scanner is recognized and makes a scan routinely. However, when I eject the film, the program freezes and I have to "force quit." This happens every time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Silverfast program repeatedly, discarded the preferences file, and even reinstalled the operating system with the "Archive and Reinstall" option. None of these things helped. I found the same problem occurred when I tried Nikon Scan. I updated the firmware and used the latest version of that software.

I tried my scanner on two other new Macs at the local Apple Store yesterday, installing Silverfast v 6.5.1r2 for the purpose. The same thing happened on those machines, i.e., the program froze when I ejected the film.

Interestingly, the problem did NOT occur when I tried the scanner and Silverfast v6.5.1r2 on my wife's Mac Mini. Her machine uses OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and is not an Intel based machine. It worked fine.

So, this makes me think that there is a bug that is causing this, but I can't tell whether it is connected to the Intel-Mac or to the OS (OS 10.4.10 (Tiger) vs. 10.3.9 (Panther).

Since I encountered the problem on three separate Intel Macs running OS X 10.4.10, I would expect that others using the same equipment and software would be having the same problem. But, I have not seen other posts reporting that.

I am hoping that someone who follows this forum can help me. Have others been able to get their Nikon 4000 EDs to work on Intel Macs running 10.4.10 without this glitch? Is there a fix for the problem?

Thanks.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:46 pm

Hello Mallen,

The fact that you are able to reproduce the problem on three different computers with SilverFast, and that you seem to have the same problem even when using Nikon Scan leads me to believe the problem might be an incompatibility best addressed by Nikon. In addition to contacting Nikon I think you should involve LaserSoft technical support by:

1. Using the problem report forum (be sure to fill it out correctly and completely).
    http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport ... stallation
    2. It is a very good idea to include the SF_Logfile and SF Statistics in your support request. You will find the SF_Logfile of recent versions in the folder: Mac OS X: /User/(your user name)/Library/Preferences/LaserSoft Imaging
    3. They will send you a confirmation email to your support request.
    4. If there are screenshots or example scans illustrating the trouble you are experiencing, you might want to answer the confirmation email with these images attached.

Hope this helps!
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Mallen » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Thank you, Rag. Unfortunately, I have done all of the things you listed. Nikon responded by saying that I should uninstall and reinstall the software. So did Silverfast. I've given both the additional detail but am still waiting for additional help. Do you have a Nikon scanner working with OS 10.4.10 and Silverfast v6.5.1r2 or do you know anyone who does? I don't know if it is relevant but I also have v**s**n and it does not exhibt the problem I've encountered with Silverfast and Nikon Scan.

Thanks.

Martin

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Martin,

What did Nikon tell you when you told them you followed their instructions and the problem is still not solved?

I use and Epson scanner because I Scan both negative and reflective images.
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Mallen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:15 am

Rag -- Nikon instructed me to:

1. Do a scanner self test (which is just turning the scanner off, disconnecting it from the computer, removing the film adapter, and then turning the scanner on again and watching to see if the blinking green light goes solid -- it did);

2. Reconnect the scanner to the computer and set the Nikon Scan program to factory defaults in the settings drop down menu -- I did that; and

3. Try another scan and then add settings one by one until the problem is reproduced -- no problem there because the problem reproduced itself the first time, i.e., the program froze the first time I ejected the film strip.

The technician invited me to email back if that didn't fix the problem and let him know what error messages I was getting (none, the scanner just froze). I will email back to him again tonight and give him the results of my trip to the Apple store. I didn't try Nikon Scan on the two computers at the Apple Store, just Silverfast. I'll try Nikon Scan on my wife's Mac Mini tonight and see if it works on that machine as did Silverfast.

Frankly, I'm discouraged because I've been giving the technicians detailed explanations of the particular problem I've encountered and their responses have seemed to be stock, one size fits all, fixes or attempts, e.g., discard the preferences folder and uninstall and reinstall the program. It gives me the feeling there not tuned in. Beyond that, it's been radio silence from the Silverfast technican since my last detailed communique in which I laid out the results (detailed in my original post) I'd had installing Silverfast and the Nikon scanner on a variety of Mac computers. I fear he may have lost interest when my problem wasn't fixed by his stock answer (email a copy of the SF Log and the prefs folder, discard the pref. file and reinstall the program).

As things stand now, until someone appears who has a Nikon 4000 ED that actually works on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.4.1, I'm inclined to think that there is a glitch in the Silverfast program and it is just not compatible with this setup notwithstanding that they are selling it as if it is. I hope this is not the case and someone can tell me how to get the program to work on this computer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Martin

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:44 am

It's not in the Silverfast software. It is in the Nikon libraries that access the scanner. Both NikonScan and Silverfast use them. v**s**n does not. If you want to have a chance at a better response ask Nikon to kick it up to a level 2 tech when you call in. . good luck getting a level 3 ! Nikon's support of their software is notoriously slow, to say the least. There are several outstanding issues with the last version of NS that have been reported to them (and verified) since shortly after the last update - about 2 yrs ago ? Add to it that this is likely the last set of consumer scanners Nikon will produce - -so you can see why they would not want to spend resources fixing anything because a new hardware platform "broke it".Heck , they haven't even fixed the previous bugs ! So, unless someone figures out how to make it work under a virtual machine running XP, we may be out of luck.

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Mallen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:47 am

Thanks for that info. I just sent a email to the Nikon tech rep who had contacted me earlier. I'll give them a call tomorrow and follow your advice.

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Nikon replies

Postby Mallen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:51 pm

I received the following response from Nikon technical support today:

"Unfortuantely the LS-4000 is not fully compatible with Intel Macs. It cannot used powered adapters such as the SA-21, SF-210 or SA-30. You can use the FH-3 and the MH-21 but you cannot use the strip film adapter. Some users reported success using v**s**n. Unfortunately we do not have any information if or when their will be an update to correct this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for using Nikon products!"

The problem I reported in my post above was the scanner freezing when I eject the film. I am using the SA-21 strip film feeder, which is one of the powered accessories listed in Nikon's response.

So, unless and until Nikon fixes this incompatibility with a firmware update (if it can be corrected via firmware), I'll have to keep my scanner attached to another computer (a PC or a non-Intel Mac).

Thanks to those who responded to my cry for help.

BB
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby BB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi,

I cannot offer a solution, just confirm that it seems to be a problem with Intel Macs. (I reported something similar in another thread some time ago, <http://www.silverfast.com/forum/ejecting-film-strip-from-sa-21-t4610.html>)
I never received an answer to the support request I submitted, but if it is a Nikon library problem, it probably wouldn't work anyway. As another poster noted, the chances of Nikon ever publishing a bug-fix release are zero, I assume. Probably they sacked their last remaining software developer working on scanner software two years ago.

Although I wonder if it might be technically feasible for LaserSoft to implement the technique used by Ed Hamrick in v**s**n??

Regards,
Bernhard

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Mallen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Here's an update on my efforts. I have my Nikon 4000 ED connected to my old PC, which is running XP and has Silverfast installed. I downloaded Microsoft's Remote Deskton to my Mac Pro and configured it so that I can open my Windows desktop on my Mac remotely. So I'm able to use my Mac keyboard and screen to operate my Scanner and use Silverfast installed on the PC. It's all fairly smooth. That will have to do until Nikon or Silverfast fix the incompatibility issue that causes the scanner to freeze if it is connected to my Mac Pro.

I had a moment of hope today when I found that Silverfast released a new version of Ai in the last few days (v 6.5.5r1) which claims to be set up to work seamlessly with Intel Macs. I installed the new version on my Mac Pro, hooked up the scanner to the Mac, and did a scan. Sadly, the program still froze when I ejected the film. Too bad!

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:31 am

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with SF and all to do with Nikon. As was mentioned before/elsewhere, Nikon has not issued an update or bugfix since 2004. Maybe when Hell Norway ( yes there really is ) freezes over and stays frozen all year will Nikon update any of their scanner software. The economics are just not there. We , and SF , are left with an as is product.. So keep a copy of XP or win2k around to run the scanner.

Or if someone wants to take on a hero's task, get the SDK for the Nikon scanners and update it for newer systems...........but i suspect the license would forbid that kind of activity. Sigh......

brett
SilverFast Beginner

Postby brett » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I've had a similar post with the exact same concerns you've had. Here's what I've concluded: If you have a Nikon LS4000 hooked up to an intel mac running mac os software, you are out of luck. I've spent the last week emailing silverfast technical support and nothing they've suggested has worked. I keep getting the message "Scanner not found".

In fact, they keep asking me to do the same procedural steps over and over again. It's as if they don't want to admit to that this is never going to work.

After doing many google searches, I find that to be the case. Many, many people are having this same problem. The Nikon Maid software for the coolscan LS4000, that Silverfast uses too, just will not run on an intel mac. I think it's high time that Silverfast recognizes and publicly admits this. This would save everyone a lot of time and anguish, not to mention free up a lot of forum space.

I don't know if this problem affects the Nikon LS5000 scanner as well, but I'd hate to spend a $1000 just to find out.

There is a small ray of hope here: You can, using bootcamp, reboot your intel mac and startup using a Windows OS, if you have Windows installed. I have Windows XP pro and I'm able to use Silverfast for windows and successfully run my Nikon LS4000. But then you give up the beautiful Mac OS interface.

For myself, I'm going to drop Silverfast for Nikon all together and just use v**s**n for Mac and do any needed post processing in Lightroom and photoshop. v**s**n always works with all of my scanners (including the LS4000) and I'm tired of dealing with this problem.

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Mallen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Brett --

I am using a similar but slightly different approach. I kept my old PC and have the scanner hooked up to it. I installed Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac on my Mac Pro. With that program I can control the PC from my Mac Pro and do scans remotely that way. The PC saves the scans to the hard drive on my Mac. Your approach using Bootcamp seems more straightforward in that you don't need to keep a second computer available.

methc
Visitor

Re: Nikon scanner freezes when ejecting film

Postby methc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi all,
I have had exactly the same problem.I can use the slide scanner of my CS4000 but not the film strip adapter.So I have my G4 and my Intel connected and use the G4 when I have to scan film strips. Nikon could offer no help at all. I think you have to buy a newer version of Coolscan. It's a marketing issue,I believe.

Mallen
SilverFast Beginner

Re: Nikon scanner freezes when ejecting film

Postby Mallen » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Silverfast has finally responded to this issue by releasing a new version of Silverfast that does not rely on the Nikon Maid driver. You might try downloading it and see if it resolves the issue for you. I do not know if it will work on your G4. I installed it on my Mac Pro, which has an Intel processor, and it does fix the problem I encountered. Hopefully it will do the same for you. Good luck.

Return to “Nikon”