General topics about SilverFast

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Online update within SF Ai doesn?t work!

Postby wolke » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:45 am

Hello silverfasters!

Yesterday i got a notification that a newer version is online when i did a update check in SF Ai. OK, so i clicked "update" and SF told me that the update 6.4.1r3 was downloaded on my desktop. On my desktop there was really a stuffit archive BUT it was only 4Kb of size! This happens with both of my versions (Minolta5400 and Nikon LS5000).

What?s the trick on it?
Do i have to go again to the manually download section and reenter the serial each time?

greetings
wolke

Using Mac OS X.3.8 and SF Ai 6.4.1r2

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:42 pm

Dear Wolke,

could you check your internet settings firewall etc. that the file transfer is allowed for silverfast.

After you have downloaded the latest version manually, does it still show the same behaviour ?

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby wolke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:50 am

LSI_Bruhn wrote:could you check your internet settings firewall etc. that the file transfer is allowed for silverfast.

After you have downloaded the latest version manually, does it still show the same behaviour ?

Dear Mr.Bruhn,

Thank you for reply, i hadn?t the time yesterday to try again and i will do so today in the evening.

I normally have no limitations on my internet settings. Maybe it depends somehow on the latest X.3.8 security update of the Mac OS (just a thought) or the DSL router? What services are a must to be open?

regards
wolke

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby wolke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:42 pm

OK, once again a problem occurs:

I have done another try from SF started as stand alone with the launcher application and now it worked for me with some of my versions.

1) Minolta 5400 online update worked ok, archive was good!

2) Nikon LS-5000 online update worked ok, archive was good!

3) Epson 1680pro online update worked ok BUT
the update .sit is only 7,6Mb instead of the announced 8,05Mb and StuffitExpander 8.02 and 9.01 couldn?t extract the file. I tried this 4-5 times, each one as a new download, two times with online update and the others manually downloaded. The archive seems to be corrupted, can you check this please?

thanks in advance
wolke

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby wolke » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:10 am

wolke wrote:3) Epson 1680pro online update worked ok BUT
the update .sit is only 7,6Mb instead of the announced 8,05Mb and StuffitExpander 8.02 and 9.01 couldn?t extract the file. I tried this 4-5 times, each one as a new download, two times with online update and the others manually downloaded. The archive seems to be corrupted, can you check this please?

thanks in advance
wolke

Any news on this problem?
I tried it again today, "stuffit couldn?t extract the archive because of unknown format"!

wolke

Gregory C
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert
Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED
Microtek 5700
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby Gregory C » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:31 pm

the 7.6 "sit" file is not a sit file. open it up in a text editor and you'll find that it's a '404 Not found' html file.

I'm having the same problems that you are. SF Ai Studio for my Nikon and Microtek scanners will not download the update. I suspect that an incorrect url is being specified.

just a hunch: are you using OS X? are you logged in as an Admin user or as a non-Admin user?

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby wolke » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Gregory C wrote:the 7.6 "sit" file is not a sit file. open it up in a text editor and you'll find that it's a '404 Not found' html file.

Hello Gregory!

Unfortunately i allready deleted the "damaged" sit files and have not checked with a text editor first :-/
But 7,6 Mb for a 404 html seems to be fairly high sized don?t you think?

I'm having the same problems that you are. SF Ai Studio for my Nikon and Microtek scanners will not download the update. I suspect that an incorrect url is being specified.

just a hunch: are you using OS X? are you logged in as an Admin user or as a non-Admin user?

My previous problem with the download from inside SF Ai has gone after i started it as stand alone with SF-launcher, it did not work before from the plugin. Maybe the servers wasn?t updated that time.

To your question: I am logged in as admin (i know that some suggest working as non-admin is saver but...) and i use X.3.8.

Have you tried the manual download from the update webpage too?

regards
wolke

Gregory C
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert
Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED
Microtek 5700
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby Gregory C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:39 am

I tried manual download which worked but I have three versions of SF so manual downloading is a pain.

When I tried using WebUpdate with SF HDR Studio yesterday, it worked. maybe they repaired or corrected the URLs.

7.6MB for an html would be very large. my incomplete WebUpdate downloads all lasted just one or two seconds and all were 404 html files. maybe your situation was different.

I asked about Admin because I have found circumstances where certain SF functions only work if you have Admin status. for example, registering the serial number will not work if you do not have admin status, and Nikon scanners are undiscoverable if the /Library/Application Support/Nikon/ folder does not have Read/Write access for the current user.

boots
Visitor

Silverfast AI update/download confusion

Postby boots » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:47 pm

I too am having a similar problem. I've emailed support 10 days ago but have thus far received no reply- other than an auto-confirmation of a request for support.

In my case, I use SilverFast AI 6 with Mac OSX.3.8. I purchased SF AI as an upgrade to SilverFast AI 5 which came bundled with my Epson Expression 1680 scanner.

At the time, the upgrade version was 6.2.1r2. I never had a problem downloading or installing subsequent version updates through 6.2.3r3- my current version. Recently, in my usual fashion, I went to the LaserSoft website to check for updates and to manually download them; I didn't realize at the time there is a built-in feature in the application to do this.

After going through the website's download "wizard", it arrived at the download link for SF AI 6.4.1r4b.
I clicked on the link, the file was downloaded, but when I double-clicked to open with Stuffit Expander 9.0.1, I got an error message, "..file does not appear to be compressed, try anyway?.."

I tried to open it, but it would not, and kept repeating the same Stuffit error dialog.

I then checked the SF AI version history on the website and discovered what would seem to indicate that SF AI 6.4.1r4b is not available to me without purchasing an upgrade to either SilverFast AI DC Pro, DC Pro Studio, HDR, or HDR Studio.
And that SF AI 6.2.3r8- released on 12/04/2004- is the last update for my version of SilverFast.
Yet the website's download "wizard" insists 6.4.1r4b is the "update" for my current version....

After discovering this thread, I then tried using the application's built-in web-update feature. I got exactly the same results, with the web update dialog showing the same version.

An attempt to download met with the same Stuffit error message.
I've tried all of this 6 or 7 times with the same results each time, and being very careful to make sure all info I entered on the website was correct.
I have no problems whatsoever with downloading or opening any other Stuffit files, my machine is in tip-top shape otherwise, my internet/firewall settings are the same as they were before. The only difference is Mac OSX.3 version; I think I was at 10.3.5 at the time of the upgrade purchase; subsequent OS point upgrades did not adversely affect SF updates, nor have I seen any problems with any other software downloads with 10.3.8.

So what's the deal SilverFast? Did you pull 6.2.3r8? Is my version of Stuffit Expander too "new" to open the .sit? How long must I wait for a reply from tech support?

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Re: Silverfast AI update/download confusion

Postby wolke » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:22 pm

boots wrote:So what's the deal SilverFast?

Hello boots!

You got exactly the same game that happened to me :-?
Just a note of re-checking this file from Lasersoft would be fine.
And just to mention, i did a reinstall of Stuffit 8.02 and this failed also on this SF sit-file. Classic Stuffit 6.5.1 failed too.

I still keep on waiting for a tip from Lasersoft...

greetings
wolke

boots
Visitor

Postby boots » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:43 pm

Thanks wolke,
nice to know it's not me or my feeble skill! :o

Be nice to know from LS what is what- perhaps with so many different versions of SilverFast AI, it is a bit confusing which update belongs to which version, no? :roll:

wolke
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby wolke » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:58 pm

boots wrote:.... it is a bit confusing which update belongs to which version, no? :roll:

Hmm, i allways tried and go on trying to keep ALL my SF copys at the same release version as long as possible. It would be hard to have maybe different bugs of different versions for different scanners to compare or workaround 8)

Second, if a new update shows up, i still know if i allready got it or not when i do a online check for one single scanner :wink:

lazy me...
wolke

boots
Visitor

Postby boots » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:29 pm

Well, the funky download situation seems to be resolved- at least partially.

This am, I successfully downloaded manually from the LaserSoft website a Stuffit file labeled "SFE-6.4.1r4c(EpsonIT8).sit".
It un-stuffed fine.
Inside of it was an installer application titled "SFE-6.4.1r4b(EpsonIT8)".
I ran the installer. It did not update my previous installation automatically. In fact, it installed the plug-in into /Applications/SilverFast Application/.
After the installation was reported as successful, I opened SilverFast and it was the same previous version. To see what would happen, I then used the download wizard within SilverFast and got that same previous error message about the "file does not appear to be compressed, try anyway?", which I did and it crashed not only SilverFast, but also Photoshop CS.

So I looked at the install, moved the new plug-in to it's proper place in the Photoshop directory, made a new alias back to the SilverFast Application folder, looked at /Library/Application Support/LaserSoft and discovered a cached Stuffit file 4kb in size which was that previous faulty download. I removed it. :o

I then opened SF AI from within PSCS and it reported the new version correctly and asked for insert of the cd, but also gracefully pre-loaded the existing serial number into the dialog.
I did the cd insert, restarted SF and all was well; the download wizard reports I am using the latest available version.

I take it "SFE-6.4.1r4b(EpsonIT8)" is for my Epson expression 1680 and "SFE-6.4.1r4c(EpsonIT8)" would be for "ES 2200"? Or is the version number discrepancy a labeling mistake of the Stuffit file?

Was I supposed to remove the previous "SilverFast Application" at /Applications prior to running the installer for the new version? Is that why the installation failed? If so, it would be nice to see an explicit instruction in the installer to that effect.

Also, it was curious to me that I did not need to pay anything additional to use this new version- though the version history on the LaserSoft website implies the opposite. This was a pleasent surprise, as I half-expected to have the install fail on the basis of requiring a new serial number!

Anyway, thanks for getting the download snafu strightened out LS. :)

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:40 am

Dear customers,

we hopefully solved all this issues about downloading in the meantime.
We changed our service provider and had to take care of several settings and configs of our system.

The stuffit problems regarding the MAC are hopefully gone also, as we investigated our internal system.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

daveb
Visitor

Postby daveb » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:26 pm

I just had the same problem with the update feature a 4k stuffit archive? :-?

I have no firewall set up... I also use a mac with the latest stuffit program.

Return to “About SilverFast”