SE Color Management

General topics about SilverFast

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

shileyd
SilverFast Beginner

SE Color Management

Postby shileyd » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:42 am

I recently purchased SE Plus for my Epson 3200 scanner. It has a CMS tab under "Options" that allows a choice of two color spaces.

More recently, I purchased SE Plus for my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II. I thought I was getting the same features, but have now discovered that the Minolta version has no option for color management.

Why is this missing? Is it going to be added?

Thanks,
Dennis

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:40 am

Dear Dennis,

you need a generic profile for your scanner, to use the CMS within the SE.
Usually the manufactures will deliver this one to you.

If you find it contact or support please to get some guidance to implement your profile.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

shileyd
SilverFast Beginner

Postby shileyd » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:16 am

I do not think your answer is the problem. I think the software that I downloaded does not have the CMS feature included. The reason I believe this is the version number for my Epson is v6.4.0r9c. It includes CMS. The version number for my Minolta is v6.4.0r9. It does not have CMS. I believe the "c" at the end of the Epson version number is the reason for the difference.

I think you should check to see if the version number I downloaded just last week for the Minolta Scan Elite II contains the CMS feature. If not, maybe there is a version v6.4.0r9c that should be posted.

Thanks,
Dennis

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Dear Dennis,

the version 9c is just one in the pipe and will change to d,e,f or whatever within the next week.

The CMS is within all SE versions. But it will just activate when the scanner profile is there - if it isn't no CMS panel.

believe me it is no magic, not version dependedor anything else - I work with it every day ;)

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

shileyd
SilverFast Beginner

Postby shileyd » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:51 pm

I will probably need support assistance, because I checked the Minolta program directory and there are three icc profiles listed and I have color managment selected in the Dimage Scan software. So I don't know why the Silverfast install didn't pick it up. I have sent a similar report to your support organization. I am hoping they will be able to give me more specific instructions, because it appears I have the neccessary software from Minolta.

Regards,
Dennis

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Dear Dennis,

thanx a lot we will take care of it ! :)

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

t-jey
Visitor

Color management in Silverfast SE / Microtek ScanMaker 5900

Postby t-jey » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:18 pm

I am quite new to Silverfast: I have no CMS tab in my options settings, although the parallel install of SF Ai 6.0 tryout recognizes the scanner's icc profiles correctly and the color management here works flawless.

Unfortunately, in SF SE, the colors of the scanned files are terrible when opened in Photoshop CS, though the appropriate scanner profile is assigned correctly. So, please: What are the internal color management policies (or options) of SF SE 6.0? Are the raw files converted to any alien color space?

Thanks for any advice ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: The installer file I downloaded today is "SFD-6.4.1r4b(MicroSDK-SE).exe". After installing it, the "Profiles" folder in the program directory contains only four color profiles:

SFprofR (MICROTEK 4800 Scanner)
SFprofR (MICROTEK ScanMaker i700)
SFprofT (MICROTEK 4800 Scanner)
SFprofT (MICROTEK ScanMaker i700)

These profiles clearly do not match my scanner model. Is this the reason for the strange color behaviour of Silverfast SE / Microtek Scanmaker 5900?

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 am

Dear T-Jey,

the profiles mentioned above are related to the models in their name of cause.

There are no generic profiles for all scanners but maybe delivered later. The manufactures do this mostly for the newer models now.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

t-jey
Visitor

Postby t-jey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yesterday, I bought SF Ai 6.0 online. After installing it, there are the same greenish color casts as with the previous installation of SF SE. The Scanwizard software provided by Microtek installs generic profiles for all scanner models in the WinXP directory. There IS a profile called "Microtek Scanmaker 5900 / Positive Film / Present", which I selected in the CMS tab of SF Ai 6.0, option "assign icc-profile".

When importing the scanned file to Photoshop, being asked whether to discard the embedded pofile or to assign another one, some of the other profiles (e.g. Scanmaker 4800 / Reflective") look better, but not good. So it IS a problem of wrong profiles an d / or color spaces.

-> If I had not made a superb scan of the same positive, with the same settings, with the same program, but without any color casts, I would not complain or be disappointed. The SF Ai 6.0 full tryout version worked fine with these settings. Now, the same version, after buying it, does not. If I can't get this program working fine - is it possible to "return it" ?

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:42 pm

Dear T- jey,

before we go any further could you contact our support here :

http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport/en.html

I would like to have you "SF_logfile" and the "SF_statisticfile" to get closer to your problem.

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

t-jey
Visitor

Postby t-jey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks again for your very quick response.

In the meantime, I had de-installed all Microtek and Lasersoft programs, deleted the program directories and finally re-installed (in this order) the Microtek Scanwizard 5.991, and then again Silverfast Ai 6.0 full.

I am now getting closer to my "reference scan" of the slide that I consider "good enough" for this scanner model (I am aware it is not high-end). Obviously, it is a matter of fine-tuning the automatic level adjustment, ACR options, etc. If I still encounter problems (old or new ones), I will certainly come back to you and this forum, or to the Lasersoft support.

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:49 am

Dear T-jey,

thanks for your feedback and enjoy your scanning :wink:

kind regards
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

colonel
Visitor

Postby colonel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:35 pm

hi,
did you find a solution to the problem with the cms tab?, i am having the same problem with with silverfast se plus and minolta 5400 ii, even though the minolta profiles are installed.

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm

Dear colonel,

could you first try a update of the software - when you see no difference, please contact our support directly.

http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport/en.html
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

colonel
Visitor

Postby colonel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:56 pm

hi
thanks for your reply. version is current, 6.4.4r6, emailed support a few hours ago.

Return to “About SilverFast”