Share your favourite ones

Moderator: LSI_Ketelhohn

jezter
Visitor
Scanner: CanoScan 9000F
SilverFast Product: SE

VPS Film and Auto Frame Detection

Postby jezter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:32 pm

I have a CanoScan 9000F and I am trying to scan Kodak VPS 6006 negatives. These are Wedding photos taken in 1983 using a Hasselblad camera and the negative images each measure 5.5x5.5cm on strips of 2. This film type is not selectable and an equivalent match is not suggested (question was asked on this board before) so that will be trial and error to find the correct balance.
However, SF SE auto frame will only find 1 negative at a time despite the frame being set to the correct dimensions. Auto frame will only detect either one negative on one frame or both negatives in the same frame. I have a few of these strips so having to do each individually will double the amount of time required. Can auto frame be adjusted to find both photos on each negative strip?
Mainly doing for archive purposes but I may want to do A4 size prints later. Any other recommendations or tips appreciated.
Thanks,

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: VPS Film and Auto Frame Detection

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 am

Frame finding depends on the contrast values in the film.
Normally both images should be found.

If you want to scan for a certain print size and not just for archiving you can enter the print resolution in the resolution slider and then set the output format in the output fields.
That will give you an exact scan for that print size.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

jezter
Visitor
Scanner: CanoScan 9000F
SilverFast Product: SE

Re: VPS Film and Auto Frame Detection

Postby jezter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 am

I am not sure how you adjust the contrast values for a film that is not selectable from the options. I worked around the issue by adjusting the frame on the individual pictures. OK, it took slightly longer but I had more control of the image and could concentrate on the subject matter rather than the unnecessary (in this case) backgrounds. There is probably a better way to do this but at least I had a solution. I should also mention that the Canon software found both the frames in these special strips of negtatives.

I was also wanting to digitally archive the negatives at high resolution - to totally preserve them. I would not have purchased this scanner if I merely wanted to scan negatives (and slides) at low resolutions based on print size. The idea was to digitally capture the maximum images based on the originals. Obviously you can get carried away with resolutions and subsequent data requirements so some form of compromise is needed.

Thanks and Regards,

Return to “Tips & Tricks”