Reverse order scan in batch mode

vwennrich
Visitor

Reverse order scan in batch mode

Postby vwennrich » Mon May 26, 2008 9:17 am

Dear everyone,

I'm using Silverfast 6.5.5 with a Reflecta DigitDia 5000. Unfortunatelly, scanning in forward direction (from slide 1-100 with the original Refelcta slide holder) the scanner often fails in changing the slides. Surprisingly, changing the slides backwards works properly. So I scanned the whole slide holder in Silverfast by creating a scan job and manually adding the slides from 100 to 1 backwards. This takes a lot of time.
Is it somehow possible to add the complete set of slides in the JobManager and reverse the order of the single scan jobs so it will start a slide 100?

Cheers,

Volker

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Dear Volker,

this is currently not possible, but it seems to be an interesting general feature request for the JobManager.

Best regards
Martin

JPO
Visitor

Re: Reverse order scan in batch mode

Postby JPO » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 am

Dear community members and LSI engineers

I can fully confirm the behaviour of Reflecta DigitDia 5000 in conjunction with Silverfast (AiStudio 6.5 and as well if patched to 6.6; equipment bought in May 2008) as reported by <vwennrich>. Scanning in the order of the slides produces up to 50 % of failures in slide positioning (using a magazine holding 36 slides mounted into frames with 1.6 mm thickness).

I experienced the same issue when using initially the program that came along with the scanner then finding the work-a-roundby scanning in the reverse order. There I had to list the slides (36, 35, 34, ..., 2, 1) into a dialog box. Scanning in the reverse order (slide 36 to slide 1) produced max. 10 % of failures with less than 1 slide on average on some 16 magazines during a busy weekend.

However, when trying the same with Silverfast AiStudio it didn't work. Even when inserting the descending order of slides to be scanned the scanner was ordered to position on the first slide selected and then started in ascending order. The failures occured again.

As work-a-round I tried to turn the slides in question by 90 degrees which showed improved results (but as well not perfect results so far). Anyway I don't like the idea to waste time by finding out which slides fail, then to turn these, to scan again, to check again and to adjust further failing slides, to post process the turned slide images and maybe to turn the slides back into the original position.

Now I learn that there is an option "creating a scan job" that I will try out; thank you <vwennrich> for adressing this. I'm aware that it's basically Reflecta's failing to ship scanners that don't process slides properly in ascending order while the same device does it far, far better in reverse order (and I'm happy that it's not only me facing this while I regret that we all suffer the same). It's astonishing that in 2008, after decades of building slide projectors (I'm looking with some wet eyes at at BRAUN PA2 from mid of the last century right now), the industry is not capable to cope with mechanics. However it would be the strength of Silverfast software to offer intelligent options to be applied efficiently.

Since the scanning software that came along with the Reflecta DigitDia allows to scan in reverse order I'd expect Silverfast Ai to do at least the same. I used the button triggering “Multiple Slide Scanner Settings” (see page 239 of the manual) that offers to enter the actual position of a slide, the size of the magazine and options to define the range of slides to be scanned. The third option allows to define the slides by entering numbers separated by a comma or minus sign (1-5,7,9,...). A similar option is available for the scanning software brought by Reflecta. Only when typing a descending order (36,35,34,33, ...) the Silverfast didn't trigger the reverse order in scanning (like the Reflecta software did). In addition an option to tick "reverse order" applicable for the definition of the range of slides as this could be defined by any of the three options or in the worst case a copy-paste support to enter the slide numbers would have been a true advantage (I typed 10 times the numbers from 36 to 1).

I guess it would even be better if the Silverfast Ai software refuses to scan a slide positioned crappily. The result is for the trash bin anyway but the time for this scanning could be saved. An error notification "some slides could not be scanned - please check the files created for completeness" would make it perfect. The mal-positioning might be discovered by enhancing the "Autoframe" function that already discovers portrait and landscape orientation of a slide.

Well, LSI engineers, I'm looking forward to an update to come soon that facilitates Silverfast Ai to scan slides with Reflecta DigitDia in reverse order. I will try to check out the "creation of a scan job" option to survive in the meantime. If I find further such notions by further Reflecta DigitDia users I might consider to contact Reflecta to ask for their advice.

In case you want to further discuss my findings and/or proposals feel free to contact me that we may improve Silverfast Ai.

Best regards Jan-Peter Ohling

vwennrich
Visitor

Postby vwennrich » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Dear all,

I finally called Reflecta and asked them for a solution (I still had warranty and in my understandung, Reflecta had to eliminate this problem). But the solution was that simple! They knew about this problem, and gave me the hint to slightly twist the metal slide pushing device to the left. This seemed quite strange to me! But it definitely was the right way, and after a few tests and another slight twist, the scanner worked properly!

Best regards

Volker

johnashleys
Visitor

Postby johnashleys » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:29 am

Since the scanning software that came along with the Reflecta DigitDia allows to scan in reverse order I'd expect Silverfast Ai to do at least the same. I used the button triggering “Multiple Slide Scanner Settings” (see page 239 of the manual) that offers to enter the actual position of a slide, the size of the magazine and options to define the range of slides to be scanned. The third option allows to define the slides by entering numbers separated by a comma or minus sign (1-5,7,9,...). A similar option is available for the scanning software brought by Reflecta
movies

Return to “Reflecta”