DigitDia 4000 with iSRD -> top margin of picture garbled

diddle
Visitor

DigitDia 4000 with iSRD -> top margin of picture garbled

Postby diddle » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:20 pm

Hi, folk!

First of all... HELLO. This is my 1st post, I just registered. :)

I recently purchased the DigitDia 4000 with SF Ai Studio... I installed the latest revision 642r9.

I already found in the forum:
"Starting with version 641r8 we do support the usage of the infrared channel for dust and scratch removal"

So I enabled that... but now experience a strange problem. I see on ALL scans with iSRD the top margin of the picture completely garbled (some kind of fuzzy). Disabling iSRD cures this problem.

During processing the software shows some little thumbnail with a preview of the infrared channel. I noticed that in that preview you can see the top margin as black... just like a horizontal line. So I assume the complete margin is considered as dust/scratch... causing the garbled result. Looks like area for the infrared scan is too small a little?

Anybody else noticed that? I think this is a SF problem, since the original software works fine with ICE.

Best regards...
Diddle.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:51 pm

diddle,

I don't have the same scanner, but I have noticed the same thing on an Epson when using ICE. During my testing I used both SilverFast and Epson Scan with the same results in both cases so I believe the issue (in my case anyway) is ICE. I don't turn ICE on for every scan and have reserved using it for images that have damage more severe than dust. When ever I find dust and minor scratches I now use the built-in feature of SilverFast first, and then ICE if SilverFast SRD does not work.
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

diddle
Visitor

Postby diddle » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:38 pm

RAG,

thanks for the response. It's not the ICE since my SF version does not support ICE with this Scanner at all. :-(

I enabled the iSRD, which is hardware-assisted scratch removal. This feature is really important for me since the DigitDia is a magazine scanner and I plan to do batch scanning with thousands of slides. No good idea to do this without automatic scratch removal.

best regards...
Diddle.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:01 am

diddle,

I thought you were talking about ICE in your first post. Is the iSRD in addition to ICE?
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

LSI_Magnussen
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Magnussen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Dear Diddle,

you are right: the black border in the infrared channel you did observe is considered to be a defect.
Please ensure, that the frame you are scanning is small enough to not include the black border (part of your slide frame). You can use the two popups "Landscape" and "Portrait" in the General panel to set the frame to be scanned for each orientation detected by the automatic orientation detection.

Regards
Ralf

diddle
Visitor

Postby diddle » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 am

Ralf,

thank's a lot... that was exactly my problem. I adjusted the frame at the wrong place and didn't see I missed the spot a little bit.

Thank's again!
Diddle.

PS.: H?tte ich Oberdepp auch selbst drauf kommen k?nnen. ;-)

Return to “Reflecta”