darkness, reset button and whitebalance


jcdebock
Visitor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm
Scanner: Reflecta ProScan 7200
SilverFast Product: SE

darkness, reset button and whitebalance

Postby jcdebock » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:57 pm

I recently got a Refelcta Proscan 7200 and downloaded the SE edition of Silverfast. I'm encountering a few issues, which i like to addres and would like some support. I choose for SE because the website showed only some high end differences, going through the video tutorials (which are very helpful) i must conclude, there are far more differences between the two. In general i love this piece of software:

(1) scan's seem to be to dark almost all the times, i set gamma gradation to 2,6, with rather good results, is this the only option (i read the other topic on this forum and tried all that), the option tab "auto" is SE Plus feature? Does that mean i can not disable the "color cast removal"? When scanning negatives, i have a separate ruler for this lightness, in the film type window, only when scanning positives, i do not get this option. is it hidden somewhere?

(2) The program seems to stack auto-adjustments, so before hitting auto-adjust, I reset all the previous settings, before each prescan. Is there a general reset button? Or a default that will always reset the auto-adjust?

(3) The setting "Image type" does some fiddling with the white balance, as does the auto-adjust, they always add up well, it would be a great addition if you would be able to set the white balance manually.

Jasper
The Netherlands

User avatar
LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Posts: 4265
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 am
Scanner: all
Location: Kiel, Germany
Contact:

Re: darkness, reset button and whitebalance

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

jcdebock wrote:I recently got a Refelcta Proscan 7200 and downloaded the SE edition of SilverFast. I'm encountering a few issues, which i like to addres and would like some support. I choose for SE because the website showed only some high end differences, going through the video tutorials (which are very helpful) i must conclude, there are far more differences between the two. In general i love this piece of software:

(1) scan's seem to be to dark almost all the times, i set gamma gradation to 2,6, with rather good results, is this the only option (i read the other topic on this forum and tried all that), the option tab "auto" is SE Plus feature? Does that mean i can not disable the "color cast removal"? When scanning negatives, i have a separate ruler for this lightness, in the film type window, only when scanning positives, i do not get this option. is it hidden somewhere?

Setting the gamma that high should not be necessary.
The brightness slider is located in the Gradation settings.
Also please try the MultiExposure feature.

jcdebock wrote:(2) The program seems to stack auto-adjustments, so before hitting auto-adjust, I reset all the previous settings, before each prescan. Is there a general reset button? Or a default that will always reset the auto-adjust?

Auto-adjustments do not stack.
If you hit the auto adjust button it will create new settings.
You can reset the histogram and gradation corrections separately.

jcdebock wrote:(3) The setting "Image type" does some fiddling with the white balance, as does the auto-adjust, they always add up well, it would be a great addition if you would be able to set the white balance manually.

The "image type" is a way of using adjusted auto-adjustments.
You can always make corrections to these adjustments in the histogram and gradation curve.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

jcdebock
Visitor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm
Scanner: Reflecta ProScan 7200
SilverFast Product: SE

Re: darkness, reset button and whitebalance

Postby jcdebock » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for your quick response.
I tried multi-exposure, (using the demo version of SE PLus, for i bought just the SE version). Multi-exposure did not make much of a difference.
The gamma setting higher then the default 2,2 does seems to work, but i suspect it only to be mainly a software adjustment (not hardware adjusting like lamp power or something) so i just might as well use Photoshop?
Jasper

User avatar
LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Posts: 4265
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 am
Scanner: all
Location: Kiel, Germany
Contact:

Re: darkness, reset button and whitebalance

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:35 pm

jcdebock wrote:I tried multi-exposure, (using the demo version of SE PLus, for i bought just the SE version). Multi-exposure did not make much of a difference.

The visibility of the effect highly depends on the material scanned.
The Effect will mostly be visible in areas with fine structures (like clouds for negatives or shadows for positives).
Also MultiExposure creates a better dynamic range.
This will benefit filters in applications like Photoshop.
jcdebock wrote:The gamma setting higher then the default 2,2 does seems to work, but i suspect it only to be mainly a software adjustment (not hardware adjusting like lamp power or something) so i just might as well use Photoshop?

The gamma should be set within SilverFast because the colorspace rendering takes place there.


kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

jcdebock
Visitor
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm
Scanner: Reflecta ProScan 7200
SilverFast Product: SE

Re: darkness, reset button and whitebalance

Postby jcdebock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks, i'll experiment with the different settings, if i have any trouble or further questions, i will not hesitate to post them on this forum, this great forum and i appreciate your quick and detailed responses. Thanks, Jasper


Return to “Reflecta”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest