Update broke scan button on Plustek 7200i

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Update broke scan button on Plustek 7200i

Postby dcnicholls » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 am

I installed the scanner and associated software, including Silverfast Ai, and everything worked fine, including the "Intelliscan" button on the Plustek 7200i which runs the Silverfast startup.

The following day I upgraded Silverfast to the latest version 6.5.0r5 Since then the scan button for Silverfast on the scanner doesn't work and I get the message "Silverfast is not found on this system. Please make sure it is installed correctly".

Silverfast runs perfectly well from the icon. WinXPsp2.

Sounds like a pointer is broken somewhere. What needs to be fixed?
__
DN

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:42 am

I have identified the problem with the scanner quick launch button not finding SF Launcher

Quickscan.exe is the file that sets up the buttons on the front of the Plustek 7200i scanner. By default it runs on Windows start up. Taking a look at the code inside this exe, it refers to Silverfast's SF Launcher at the following location:

Code: Select all

[C:\Program Files\]\LaserSoft\SilverFast UScan\SF Launcher.exe

but the update removed that program and instead installed the SF Launcher application at:

Code: Select all

[C:\Program Files]\SilverFast Application\SilverFast UScan\SF Launcher.exe

So (as I understand it) Quickscan.exe does not find SF Launcher and reports that Silverfast is not present.

In other words, a glitch was introduced when the update relocated SF Launcher to a new directory.

What's the best way to fix this, short of recompiling Quickscan.exe?
__

DN

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 am

I updated the Plustek 7200i drivers to the latest version (3.0.1.1), and the launch button is still broken. The QuickScan.exe file is different, but the button still doesn't work.

I can't tell whether the problem is with Silverfast or Plustek, but there is a problem.

DN
__

DN

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:24 am

OK, Plustek replied to my support request by saying that I should reinstall the original software. Or contact Silverfast. In part they said:

I suggest you to install our CD's SilverFast,the scanner will be run
again. But if you insist to install the latest version of SilverFast
,please contact SilverFast's website and ask for a way to solve.

Is anyone from Silverfast listening?
__

DN

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Dear DN,

yes we are listening, we just had "Easter holidays" so sorry for the Delay...

I doublechecked by looking into the QuickScan.exe myself.
In my Version all looks great, SF_Launcher.exe is searched relative to the paases that Quicktime searches for in the registry !
Are you sure that you are running the latest Plustek 7200i driver version ?!

Greetings:

Nils Heidorn, R & D, LaserSoft Imaging AG

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 pm

LSI_Heidorn wrote:Dear DN,

yes we are listening, we just had "Easter holidays" so sorry for the Delay...

Thanks, Nils. No problem :) Users always find problems during holidays!

I doublechecked by looking into the QuickScan.exe myself.
In my Version all looks great, SF_Launcher.exe is searched relative to the paases that Quicktime searches for in the registry !
Are you sure that you are running the latest Plustek 7200i driver version ?!

I downloaded it from the Plustek website in the past 48 hours. It's version 3.0.1.1. The included cab files etc are dated 13/2/07

I checked the Registry and the program location given for SF Launcher is correct. The earlier version of QuickScan.exe had explicit (relative) path information associated with SF Launcher.exe. The new one does not. I don't have a "de-compiler" so I can't read the code, and I'm not sure what's happening.

My current version of QuickScan.exe - which was installed with the Plustek driver update - has a modified date of 8 May 2006 (rather old?) and is version number 1.0.1.1, size 294,912 bytes.

DN
__

DN

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Dear DN,

i am not sure now:
You confirm that the new Quickscan searches the Launcher in a "good" way, right ?!

But still the Buttons do not work for you ?

Please confirm, i am going to call in the Infantry then ( call Testing )

:-)

Greetings:

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:47 pm

LSI_Heidorn wrote:You confirm that the new Quickscan searches the Launcher in a "good" way, right ?!

I can't confirm what QuickScan.exe is trying to do as I can't read the code.

AFAIK, the purpose of QuickScan.exe is to activate the buttons on the front of the 7200i scanner. The button labelled "Intelliscan" is supposed to run Silverfast by calling SF Launcher.exe. The other button, labelled "QuickScan", does a quick scan and opens one of the helper graphics programs, Presto PageManager 6.

On initial install with the older version of the drivers for the scanner and the older version of Silverfast, both buttons worked.

But still the Buttons do not work for you ?

Now, only the "Quickscan" button works. The Intelliscan button gives a message "SilverFast is not found on this system, please make sure it has been installed correctly".

The same message is also given when I first run Quickcan (I have removed it from my startup menu).

Please confirm, i am going to call in the Infantry then ( call Testing )

I shall be happy to cooperate with them :-)

DN
__

DN

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Dear DN,
i posted this as a Bug in our internal Ticket System, lets see when they got time to verify this, it will take a few days !

Greetings:

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:06 pm

vielen Dank

DN
__

DN

snowflakebeach
Visitor

Upgrade to 6.5.0r5 = Silverfast is not found on this system

Postby snowflakebeach » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 am

Exactly the perfect recreation of my experience as dcnicholls experience....in every way except I am using the Plustek 7200, not the 7200i. Add this as a second confirmation to your bug report.

LSI_Sperling
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Sperling » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:08 am

dear dcnicholls,

we could fix the problem. The Intelliscan Button is now working with the latest SilverFast installer 6.5.0r5 ( 20.04.2007 )

Please make an update

Kind regards

Christoph

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks. It works now.

DN
__

DN

snowflakebeach
Visitor

Update fixed intelliscan here also

Postby snowflakebeach » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:45 am

Yes, Many Thanks, Intelliscan works now and also the update CMS options are great, especially the wide gamut RGB CMS!

Alas, yet 2 nagging issues. When I install the Photoshop TWAIN download for 6.5.0r5 ( 20.04.2007 ) and the Stand Alone Silverfast 6.5.0r5 ( 20.04.2007 ) my computer throws a useless nag at me that the Silverfast is not installed, yet it is installed and appears to be working correctly. Deinstalling the TWAIN install and overlay installing the Stand Alone again seems to make the nag go away and I just live without the 32 bit TWAIN, using the one supplied by the Stand Alone Silverfast SE Photoshop plugin instead. This issue is the same whether or not I use Plustek 3.2.0 or 3.2.1

The second curiosity is that during XP shutdown or logoff, an error dialog is presented for the most brief moment stating the dwwin.exe application initialization failed only if the Plustek 7200 is powered on during those procedures, turning it off and logging off or shutting down results in no error dialog presentation. I spent a long time trying to catch this message as it flashed by as the session ends. I award myself one gold star for effort!

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:23 am

Dear snowflakebeach,

the two issue must be generated by the Plustek software.
The alert "no SilverFast" has been eliminated with their last update.

Best regards
Martin

Return to “Plustek”