Unsuccessful dust removal with 7500i

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

uabjanh
Visitor

Unsuccessful dust removal with 7500i

Postby uabjanh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:49 pm

I have purchased a OpticFilm 7500i around two weeks ago and so long I have not successed to get Dust & Scratch Removal working for me. Need some adwice what can be wrong, SW, HW or Humanware. But the handling looks so easy that it should be easier to do it right than to do it wrong.

Equipment: OpticFilm 7500i, SilverFast-SE v6.5.5r2, Windows XP operative system.

Settings: Scale 400%, Output resolution Other, Input resolution 720 dpi, 48-->24 bit colour, Auto sharpen, Image Type Standard, Scan mode Normal, Film positive (=slide).

On the right of the large preview picture I activate both iSDR and SDR icons, and open the "dust and scratch removal" menue. After making prescan/preview I can see a lot of red markings. But what looks little strange to me is that the red markings are not on the defects, but slightly beside defects. If I pusch "View of the corrected picture" icone, almost all defects remain on the large preview picture. If I push OK buttom and make the scanning, all defects remain.

If I instead of scanning chose "Dust and Scratch removal" by ticking the box, and then work with detection- and defect size sliders, I can get the picture in the large preview window looking quite good when pressing "view of the corrected picture" icone.

Now I press the OK button (the large preview picture still shows all defects), press Scan button, the scanning is performed, it takes some minutes, but all defects remain on the output picture. I save it always as .jpg.

Please help me, am I doing something wrongly, or is it something faulty with the Scanner HW (bad synchronization between Infrared and RGB scanning ??)

If I make the same procedure with a small, low quality output (scale 100%, resolution 150 dpi), it seems that defects are removed.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: Unsuccessful dust removal with 7500i

Postby LSI_Muenier » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:40 am

Dear uabjanh,

i am not sure if this might be related to the slides that you scan.
Please try to update to the current version 660r2 and try again.

Best regards
Martin

dusanmal
Visitor

Postby dusanmal » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:28 am

As a new user myself I was initially perplexed with the similar issue. However, for me
careful examination of the actual saved JPG in Photoshop proved that the dust removal
worked as intended. Catch is that the preview shown in SilverFast is shown with all
"specks", even after the scan and dust/scratch removal is done. One needs to open
the saved JPG image and check it ... Hope your issue is similarly easy to resolve.

uabjanh
Visitor

Postby uabjanh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 am

No, I have always checked the "final result", which normaly opens automatically on my PC screen.

I have replaced the SW to the latest versions, both Silverfast and Plustek drivers. The result was that dust removal with iSRD worked around each second time, and it worked also with SRD. But removal of scratcehs was still insufficient. Not good enough.

Anyway, the scanner started sometimes to show another strange behaviour (colored lines throug the pictures), so I have got promise from my dealer to replace it. I will send the scanner back this week, then I will hopefully get another one which works always.

I will report here when I know anything more, but it will probably take some more weeks.

uabjanh
Visitor

Postby uabjanh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Hello,

Sorry, but I am here again, new scanner, latest SW, the same old problems.

Dust removal somtetimes works, sometimes not. Usually when it works, I can scan some slides in row with acceptable results; if it does not work properly, it is almost not possible to get anything right. I try command "reset frames", it can help at some single occasion.

When I have problems with iSRD (or SRD), I can see in the preview mode that the red color, marking scratches or dust, is beside the scratch/dust. Sometimes it is just beside the defect, but sometimes quite long from the defect. On the 'final result', it is sometimes visible that the program tried to correct the defect, but at the "wrong place".

I have made some photos of my PC screen where it is clearly visible that the red colour lies besied the defect. I can send these two pictures to You, if it can help. I can also send a scanned picture where it is visible that the program tried to make the correction beside the defect.

Do you have some more advices to me, becaming quite desperate ? Is there any general possibility to "reset" the Silverfast, meaning that all "history" is removed and the program behaves as new installed (without need to remove/reinstal).

My slides are Kodak Ektachrome Elite slides from 2005 in machine mounted CS frames. The mounting process during these years was very bad here in Sweden, resulting in slides with a lot of scraches and a lot of dust !

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 am

Dear uabjanh,

sorry to hear about the problems.
It seems that the RGB and infrared scan data are not aligned in your instance.
Please send me your screen shots as a private message.
Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
Martin

sailpadanaram
Visitor

Postby sailpadanaram » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I have had the same problem, both with iSRD as well as multi exposure. I have not been able to find a pattern of when alignment works vs. not. Sometimes the preview for iSRD will be correctly aligned, other times it won't. There are also instances when the preview starts misaligned and then immediately "jumps" to proper alignment. Has there been any progress on this issue?

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 am

Dear sailpadanaram,

when you perform a preview scan in the iSRD preview dialog, you will at first see possibly a misalignment until the correct offset has been detected, and then the preview "jumps" to proper alignment.

Best regards
Martin

uabjanh
Visitor

Postby uabjanh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Hello again

Now I have scanned more than 650 slides (around 24% of alla slides I have) and I have made some experiences:
1. I have got a better scanning rate on slides in position 2 and 3 (i.e. middle) in the holder. After it I usually put three books on the scanner when using it and with books I do not see any major differnce between positions of the holder
2. It seems that iSRD does not work on some slides and works very well on other. When I get two unsuccessfull iSRD scanning of any slide, I switch over to SRD. The probablity that a 3 -10th iSRD scanning of the sanme slide will work seems to be low. SRD works usually well for me, except if I have tiny black details, like tree branches, Or of I have a ski lift in the background, wires disapear.

With both two above "tricks" I have reduced number of extra scannings from 50 - 60% to around 15 - 25%. For the problematic scans I will take care again when I have made scanning of all my slides, hopefully I will learn something more and hopefully the Silvefast will find something more.

But I wonder sometimes if the problem can be of mechanical kind, may be I will re-frame some hopeless slides and iSRD scan them again. All my slides so long have been Ektachrome Elite in CS mounts, but I have other slides to be scanned.

I have also found that my efficient scanning is around 4 slides per hour, but I use always mutiple scannings (2 or sometimes 4).

Best Regards, Jan

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Dear Jan,

thank you very much for your findings!

Best regards
Martin

Dean
Visitor

Postby Dean » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:15 am

I am having the exact same problem as the original post. When ISRD works it's great, but it only works 2 -3% of the time. If I go to SRD, the red marks are usually but not always beside the image flaws just as described in the original post and they don't jump into place. Has any progress been made on solving this problem. I'm becoming very frustrated and since I've still got a couple thousand slides to scan, I would like this scanner and software to work as advertised.

Thanks,
Dean

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 am

Dear Dean,
we have improved the RGB to Infrared alignement dramatically !!!
Just wait for our upcoming 660r5 Release, it should be much better.
For some scanner Users it always will be hard as an unsharp IR channels is a quite common desease.
We also improved for those cases, but its harder if the Infrared channel is just a blurry mass...

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

Dean
Visitor

Postby Dean » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 am

I upgraded to 660r5 and ISRD has now become completely useless! The alignment of the red markers with the artifacts has improved dramatically but either the artifacts are not removed (most common) or, even though the markers align, the artifact removal doesn't align with the artifacts. Every time the markers align but most commonly when I switch to the corrected preview the artifacts are still there. If I switch between the uncorrected and corrected previews, there is no difference. I am seriously considering uninstalling 660r5 and reinstalling the previous version which at least worked sometimes. Any idea about what might be going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dean

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 am

Dear Dean,
that sounds quite strange as our testing showed the alignement and end result to be improved and stabilized...
While you should post this to our Online Bug-Form to get our testing started on that, you can provide some info for me:
Did you think of adjusting the Zoom / Resolution that you want in the final scan *before* you entered the iSRD Preview and Settings ?
If so, what Resolution do you choose & encounter these problems ?
What kind of film are you scanning, slide or negative or kodachrome slide ?
What platform do you work with, Mac or PC ?
Greetings,

Nils Heidorn

Dean
Visitor

Postby Dean » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi Nils,

Yes I adjust the resolution and image size before entering the iSRD Preview and Settings.
I'm scanning at 300 DPI. I've not tried any other resolution - maybe that's something I should try.
I'm scanning slides from various film manufacturers, but I don't think there's any kodachrome in the mix. Some of these slides are 50 years old and were shot by someone else, so I don't have a good record of which films were used.
I'm using a PC running an up to date version of Windows XP.

I think it's strange also because the red markers are always aligned now, which wasn't the case before, it's just that ISRD is not removing the artifacts like it did before (during the times when the markers were aligned).

Thank you,
Dean

Return to “Plustek”