donna
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio
SilverFast Version: 6.6

understanding settings dependencies

Postby donna » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Greetings,

Platform: plustek OpticFilm 7600i, Silverfast Ai Studio 6.6.2.r4.
Task: Archiving for multiple use slides and negatives.

I've been advised after asking to enter the output size and the recommended Q-factor of 1.5 and the resolution will be optimally filled in by the software.
I'm trying to create high quality files, and as I have no idea how they'll be used in the future (maybe printed poster size? maybe used in a book?) I want to cover all possibilities as I'm throwing the negatives and slides away after scanning them. So, the output size is kind of irrelevant as I don't know it. Is there an option of scanning the source at a premium quality without scaling (original size) so it will be good for all sizes?

Also I see there are dependencies between the allowed output size and the dpi. The application will rescale without my being able to control this. For example, if the dpi is 3600--I can't scale more than 200%, whereas if I set the dpi to 1800 the image can be scaled to 400% (but not more).
I've read the documentation, but have to admit that it would be helpful if there had been an explanation on these dependencies, with examples and also a bit more on how to really be able to judge what Q-factor is the best for the job.
Will be most grateful for detailed advice.
Donna

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: understanding settings dependencies

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 am

Dear Donna,

The resolution used by the scanner is allways the set resolution multiplied by the scaling factor.
e.g.:
3600dpi x 200% = 7200dpi
1800dpi x 400% = 7200dpi

7200dpi is the maximum possible for your device.
This is the largest file you can produce.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Plustek”