SRD operation

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

ADKnighton
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7300
SilverFast Product: SE Plus

SRD operation

Postby ADKnighton » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 pm

I have just started using a Plustek 7300 scanner on 35 mm slides with SilverFast SE Plus as software (latest version 6.6.1r downloaded). In using the SRD facility I have identified the optimal settings of Detection, Defect Size and Intensity for the slide as a whole, but those settings will not deal with one or two other defects (one of which is distinctly linear). I have applied a mask to the linear defect and changed the settings so that it will be removed also. However, after clicking OK and scanning, only the masked defect has been removed. Can I remove both types of defect with this version of SilverFast? If so, how? I have read through the manual several times (p.378 suggests that I can deal with both types) and tried different strategies but without success. Can you help please?
DavidK

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: SRD operation

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:41 am

Dear David,

As a matter of fact it is possible to use masks in different layers for different settings. However that option is only available in SilverFast Ai or Ai Studio. SilverFast SE has only one layer which means only the last mask will have any effects.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

ADKnighton
Visitor

Postby ADKnighton » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Disappointing but not unexpected. Thanks for getting back to me.

ADKnighton
Visitor

Re: Speckling

Postby ADKnighton » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:22 pm

In using my Plustek scanner on 35 mm colour slides I have sometimes encountered a problem with speckling, the speckled effect being especially visible if there is a bright blue sky. Is this speckling created by the Sharpening filter? - I have noticed that if I reduce the sharpening filter down to 12% or less the speckling becomes less, but of course you lose the advantage of a sharpened image then. Is there a better way of proceeding that will eliminate the speckling? ( whilst still being able to apply the sharpening filter up to levels of say 30-40%).

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 am

Dear David,

Yes, it is possible that the sharpening filter increases certain effects (or deffects), regularly the image without sharpening filter is how it is seen by the scanner in reality, the only way of reducing noise or speckling would be to applying blur (which is quite the opposite than sharpening).
What you might want to try is scanning in 48 bit HDR mode TIFF (raw files) then editing afterwards using an editing application to see if you can obtain the desired outcome.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Plustek”