Some annoying issues I'm having with Silverfast SE

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

PDH
Visitor

Some annoying issues I'm having with Silverfast SE

Postby PDH » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:07 am

Here are a few things I'm finding a wee bit annoying when using SilverFastSE...

1. Selecting a filter resets the output resolution.
You're scanning away and you decide to select a different filter for the next scan. But when you do so, the output resolution changes to almost nothing - 33% of what it one was.
And what's worse, when you try to reset it to 100% it flips back! Most annoying.
To get around this you have to delete all previews and start again.

2. The Auto image adjust button doesn't seem to be doing it's job?
The Auto colour adjust (the second button in from the left) seems not to make the image look better! I click it after a prescan expecting it to do some magic but it doesn't. It just seems to make it worse! Foggy results.
I end up have to reset the histogram and curve, and try to improve the image manually, which is time consuming.

3. Selecting an Image Type from the combobox isn't very intuitive.
This is similar to '2' above but I get increasingly frustrated when I select a alternative Image Type for the combobox. It doesn't seem to improve the image and I end up kicking myself when I do select it as it means I have to do some more manual adjustments. Very annoying.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:34 am

Dear PDH,

1.: When you select the descreening filter, then the output resolution (together with scaling) is limited to the raster resolution. When you switch to another filter or no filter, then you should again have no restriction.
Please inform me about your settings.

2. and 3.: The image automatic does some settings to the histogram and the gradation dialog. In the histogram, highlight and shadow are adjusted to expand the image to full range. The gradation adjustments are supposed to correct the midtones.

Please send me a scan of one of your sample images, but with no correction at all (histogram and gradation reset).

Best regards
Martin

PDH
Visitor

Postby PDH » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply Martin.

On 1 below, I've since read on this web site http://www.silverfast.com/faq/1038/en.html about the Auto Adjust and it appears that I've been using it in the wrong way all along. I now get the desired results when I hold down the ALT key.
But still, it's not very intuitive is it?

I think 2 is a bug with the software. You should always have control over the output resolution.

And for 3, I'll try to get to you a good example as to what I mean.

Regards,
P.

LSI_Marquardt
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

No more resolution restrictions with the new Descreening!

Postby LSI_Marquardt » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:25 pm

Please have a look at it!

Return to “Plustek”