Silverfast renders Plustek 7200i unusable after crash

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

dcf
Visitor

Silverfast renders Plustek 7200i unusable after crash

Postby dcf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:46 pm

I bought a Plustek 7200i (came with Silverfast). Combination worked out of the box for about an hour. Using it with Photoshop 7 on XP SP 2.

After playing with some Silverfast settings (can't remember which, possibly iSRD) the system locked fast during a scan. Required a reboot. After that Silverfast (Twain or standalone) claimed 7200i was not ready. XP Control Panel app could see the device (USB detection is OK) but had it marked offline.

After much installing/de-installing it has become clear that 7200i works OK *without* Silverfast installed. i.e. Plustek Quickscan is fine. As soon as I install Silverfast and access scanner via that (Standalone or Twain) the device goes offline and is then unusable by either Silverfast or Quickscan.

I have of course updated the Plustek driver to the latest version from their website, ditto Silverfast (updated to 6.5 latest). Still exactly the same behaviour. Not a brilliant customer experience.

Any ideas ?

dcf
Visitor

How about some support ?

Postby dcf » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:19 pm

So I tried the scanner on another PC and it works OK. So I'm assuming that (a) some file got corrupted, and (b) that file never gets removed when you uninstall Plustek/Silverfast. Hence I'm stuck with a broken installation.

Does anyone from Silverfast actually read these forums ? If they do - I'd certainly appreciate some help with this. I really don't want to have to re-install XP just to clear this problem.

thanks,

Dave

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Dear dcf

deletion of SF prefs files should do the trick:
\Documents and settings\[your username]\Application data\LaserSoft Imaging
Delete "LaserSoft Imaging" folder while SF isn't running.

You might find that you need to make "Application data" folder visible first.
To do so, enable option "show hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer > Extras > Folder options > View.

If not, please don't hesitate to contact support: http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport/en.html
How to help support staff to help you: http://www.silverfast.com/faq/1058/en.html

Please note that the purpose of the imaging forum is not to provide personal support. It is intended to serve as a platform for imaging professionals for exchange of experience and communicating ideas [ viewtopic.php?p=9763&highlight=9763 ].
Therefore LSI staff will only provide limited support in the forum.
Thank you in anticipation of your kind co-operation.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- Manager Technical Support, LaserSoft Imaging AG -

Return to “Plustek”