SilverFast 8 - Mac OS X - drivers

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

gkroeger
Visitor
SilverFast Product: Ai

SilverFast 8 - Mac OS X - drivers

Postby gkroeger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Having followed the threads on 64bit drivers for Win7, I want to make sure I understand the driver situation for Mac OS X.

The web page announcing SilverFast 8 suggests that Lion is supported for the Plustek 7600i. Do I also need drivers from Plustek as in Windows, or
does SilverFast directly access the device in Mac OS X? I saw no Mac drivers on the Plustek download site.

We have a 7600i on order, and I am assuming I can use the included CD to upgrade to SilverFast 8.

Thanks,
Glenn

LSI_Moeller
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Re: SilverFast 8 - Mac OS X - drivers

Postby LSI_Moeller » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:17 am

Dear Glenn,

you don't need a special driver. SilverFast has the driver included.
If you bought the scanner with SilverFast after 1. June you will get a free upgrade to SilverFast8 at our webpage.

Best regards
Artur Möller

gkroeger
Visitor

Postby gkroeger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Thank you Artur! The scanner is due to arrive tomorrow and we look forward to trying Silverfast 8!

gkroeger
Visitor

Postby gkroeger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Thank you Artur!

The scanner has arrived and I am using Silverfast 8AI successfully.

I do have one additional question:

I am scanning at 3600dpi with the Plustek 7600i. The scan rate seems to vary from normal to very slow as I do different frames. Stopping the scan, and changing the dpi to another setting and then back again seems to return the scan rate to normal. Any ideas what can cause the scan rate to vary so drastically at the same dpi setting?

Glenn

LSI_Moeller
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Moeller » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am

Dear Glenn,

unfortunately I could not reproduce this behavior. When your computer has less than 4GB of RAM it can be better to run the program in 32-bit mode.
The memory management is optimal here.

Best regards
Artur Möller

matsfager
SilverFast Beginner
Scanner: Plustek 7600i SE
SilverFast Product: SE Plus

Postby matsfager » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:31 am

gkroeger wrote:Thank you Artur!

The scanner has arrived and I am using Silverfast 8AI successfully.

I do have one additional question:

I am scanning at 3600dpi with the Plustek 7600i. The scan rate seems to vary from normal to very slow as I do different frames. Stopping the scan, and changing the dpi to another setting and then back again seems to return the scan rate to normal. Any ideas what can cause the scan rate to vary so drastically at the same dpi setting?

Glenn

I can confirme this problem.
What seems to be happening is that the scanner scans with a different exposure, like the second pass scan of a multi exposure.

If you do a multi-exposure it will do two long ones. The end result will be a weird scan that looks jagged and pixelated when viewed at 100%.
I have three software packages installed for my 7600i: Silverfast 8, Silverfast 6.6(newest one) and v**s**n (newest) (≤≤≤what is up with censorship BTW??)
The problem seems to affect Silverfast 8 and v**s**n, but not so much silverfast 6.6 as I can tell though I might be wrong here and it affects 6.6 as well.
Does 6.6 and 8 use the same driver version? This is on a mac running 10.6.8.
It seems like some sort of driver issue, and it has been giving me major headaches, as it has not always been so willing to return back to normal behavior.
Costing a lot of time and frustration.

I was afraid it could be a hardware thing as now would not be a good time to send it back to plustek, but seems to be software related as you have the same problem.

matsfager
SilverFast Beginner
Scanner: Plustek 7600i SE

Postby matsfager » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok, I'm trying again.

I can reproduce the "slow scanning" problem.

I also scan exclusively @3600 with a plustek 7600i using silverfast se 8 and the lastest version of 6.6 on Mac osX 10.6.8

The problem seems to be that the scanner goes into the "long exposure mode", i.e. same as the second pass of a multi-exposure scann.

It does this on both passes if multi-exposure is selected or only on main scan if not.
It produces a weird jagged and pixelated scan when viewed at 100% and I can send samples if this is of interest.
There seems to be no clear predictable reason why it does this but when it first starts it can be difficult to get it to go back to the correct behaviour.
Even turning it on/off and restarting the software does not always work.

It seems to affect Silverfast 8 in a larger degree than 6.6, and I suspect this might be a driver issue/bug.

best,
Mats

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 am

Hi there,

it would be nice if you guys could provide images to illustrate the problem, the best way would be to make a scan with 6.6 and then with 8 to appreciate the differences.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

ca1945
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby ca1945 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04 pm

I can confirm that this is a problem on Mac OS X 10.6. Silverfast 6.6 scans come out fine, but in SF8 the scans are jagged. This occurs regardless of what options I select/deselect. I have included a 100% zoom on a selection of a scanned slide in both programs so you can note the difference (color difference is due to color profile difference). There were no options/processing done, other than MultiExposure (though I have seen this problem occur without ME as well). The jagged edges in the SF8 scan almost look like the image was zoomed too close (pay close attention to white, curved sections, such as the curve on the white shirt and the curve of the beer cup). Because of this issue, I have had to switch to Windows XP, where this issue does not occur (but where clicking on the IT-8 button causes the program to crash! I can therefore not calibrate my scanner in Windows XP!)

SF6.jpg
Scan in SF6.6
SF6.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 10931 times

SF8.jpg
Scan in SF8
SF8.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 10931 times

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi ca1945

Thanks for your pictures. We are checking on this issues with the colleagues from Plustek SilverFast 6.6 uses different drivers than SilverFast 8 and this problem appears to have its origins deep in the drivers.
We will keep on searching for possible causes and solutions as well.

Again thanks for your cooperation

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

SeanU
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i
SilverFast Product: SE

Postby SeanU » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Any progress on this issue? I am using OS X, 7600i, and 8.0R1 and experiencing the same issue. Scanner slows down randomly.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am

Hi there,
Up until now we have not been able to find the cause for this. We are still working on it.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

lucalio
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE

Postby lucalio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:08 pm

If it can be useful for the analysis of the problem, i noted that the bug remain "asleep" if you start silverfast without any other software in playground (safari, iTunes.. ecc). I don't mean that the bug don't show at all, but i noted a better behavior... hope it will be useful for you to find a good fix for this problems.
Thank you
Luca

stallonecuts
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750-M Pro
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Postby stallonecuts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi,

Sorry to butt-in on this thread, but I'm having a similar issue with different hardware and thought I would share. I've submitted a new topic about a week ago regarding this , but it has not posted as of yet. So again, sorry for butting in.

Using Mac OS X 10.6.8, I am scanning negatives with a Epson V750-Pro and SilverFast 6.6. I am getting the same "jagged" scans that ca1945 is getting with SF8. I am NOT getting the random slowing of the scanner issue.

Please see attached 100% res crop. No processing or MultiExposure used. If you look closely, you can see vertical lines where "light" meets "dark". I have also noticed that if I change the orientation of the film within the scanner, the "lines" change from vertical to horizontal.

Do you think this may be a similar Driver issue?

Thanks!
Attachments
test2.jpg
Epson V750 Wet Scan in SF6.6
test2.jpg (218.21 KiB) Viewed 10629 times

acurcione
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i
SilverFast Product: SE

Postby acurcione » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 pm

I recently purchased a Plutek 7600i and got the free upgrade to Silverfast 8 for Lion. I haven't been able to get a good scan with the software at any settings. They are always super dark and/or the colors are just wrong. I've tried fully automatic, manual, combination. It also seems to blow out highlights even though the histogram doesn't show it. I keep trying though, but so far no dice.

Also, I too scan at 3600dpi and the scans are extremely slow - no multiple exposure selected. Not only that, the tif files created are more than double the size they should be. How do I know? I ended up purchasing the competitors product v**s**n and get consistently good scans with file sizes that make sense. The only problem with that software is that is does a really poor job of dust removal. SF8 does an excellent job in that arena.

Anyway, I'm going to keep trying to get good scans with SF8, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Return to “Plustek”