All the problems with Plustek film scanners

Blackfive
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

SilverFast 8 64bit with 7600i Fails to Open

Postby Blackfive » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am

I'm awaiting a reply from Support but accept that they must be very busy with SilverFast 8 having only just been released. However in the meantime I wondered if anyone on this forum was having any success with loading Silverfast v8 (8.0.0r1) 64bit with a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE film scanner?

I loaded the updated version 8.0.0r1 64bit (from v6.6) onto the computer after first observing from the LaserSoft site that the 7600i scanner was compatible with the 64bit version. However on attemting to open the SilverFast program I get the splashscreen, but when I click on the "Start" button at the bottom of this splashscreen I get the following message come up;

SilverFast8 - Error
There was a problem starting your scanner.
Please make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
Exiting now...

I checked and found that the drivers I have loaded are the latest version 4.2.0.0 from Plustek. I contacted Plustek to ask if these drivers were compatible with 64bit, even though they listed Windows 7 64bit on the list of operating systems but don't appear to have loaded any drivers other than 32bit. As usual Plustek's support weren't very helpful giving the reply of;
"we advise you to use silver fast 6.6 untill we get the new driver for W7 64bit." :(
That was the whole reply from them I've cut and pasted! Not very helpful or giving any information on when the drivers will be available for SliverFast 8.

Am I to assume from Plustek's reply that despite Silverfast 8 64bit being listed as being compatible with the 7600i scanner it actually isn't until Plustek release the drivers? Or has anyone here had any success in loading the SilverFast 8 64bit version of the software on the 7600i scanner and can give me some advise?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: SilverFast 8 64bit with 7600i Fails to Open

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 am

Hi there,

Blackfive wrote:Am I to assume from Plustek's reply that despite Silverfast 8 64bit being listed as being compatible with the 7600i scanner it actually isn't until Plustek release the drivers? Or has anyone here had any success in loading the SilverFast 8 64bit version of the software on the 7600i scanner and can give me some advise?

It is correct, the drivers are only 32 bit drivers, in this case you have to download and install the 32 bit version of SilverFast 8 to be able to work with those drivers.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Blackfive
Visitor

Postby Blackfive » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:01 pm

LSI_Morales wrote:Hi there,

It is correct, the drivers are only 32 bit drivers, in this case you have to download and install the 32 bit version of SilverFast 8 to be able to work with those drivers.

Cheers

Hi Alejandro,

Many thanks for your reply. Plustek have informed me that the 64bit drivers are to be released very soon. If you do go you your website and entre the operating system of Win7 64 and the scanner of 7600i it automatically downloads the 64 bit version. You have to change the operating system to Win7 32 to download the 32bit version.
Also your website lists the Plustek scanners as follows;
•Plustek OpticFilm 7200i [temporary only 32bit Windows - waiting for manufacturer drivers]
•Plustek OpticFilm 7300 [temporary only 32bit - waiting for manufacturer drivers]
•Plustek OpticFilm 7400
•Plustek OpticFilm 7500i [temporary only 32bit - waiting for manufacturer drivers]
•Plustek OpticFilm 7600i
This perhaps also gives the incorrect impression that you can use the 64bit version of Silverfast8.

However I have now downloaded and installed the 32bit (x86) version but have now come up against another what seems to be a major problem preventing even this version from opening the program. After clicking on the start button at the bottom of the first splash screen I get the following box;

Dialog
Please enter your SilverFast serial number:
First name
Last Name
Company
Serial number

I've entered the details and then click on the "Unlock" button at the bottom of the dialog box to them bring up another splash screen box with the following;

SilverFast8
Please insert original installation media.
This is needed for the serialization.

I put the original media disk in but, after clicking on the "OK" button it then comes up with the following error message;

SilverFast8 - Error
Wrong serial number!
Please check your serial information and try again!

This isn't surprising as I don't have an original media disc for this version as it was upgraded from the previous version 6.6 and now has a different serial number. I did try the previous serial number but the "Unlock" button remained greyed out as its obviously only the new serial number that I was emailed that will work. The email did state it was the number to use from now on.

Could you please inform me how I can open the SilverFast program without the original disc or could an original disc now be sent to me?

Any advice on how to open the program will be appreciated.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Dear Blackfive,

Blackfive wrote:Any advice on how to open the program will be appreciated.

It is absolutely imperative that you insert an original CD of SilverFast in your computer drive before starting SilverFast 8 (it is irrelevant if it is the original for version 6.6).
Wait until the disc has been recognized by the computer.
Now you can start SilverFast 8 and do the product activation.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Blackfive
Visitor

Postby Blackfive » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

LSI_Morales wrote:Dear Blackfive,

It is absolutely imperative that you insert an original CD of SilverFast in your computer drive before starting SilverFast 8 (it is irrelevant if it is the original for version 6.6).
Wait until the disc has been recognized by the computer.
Now you can start SilverFast 8 and do the product activation.

Cheers

Alejandro, Many thanks for your help as I now know where I was going wrong. I was inserting the disc only when asked not BEFORE attempting to run SilverFast 8. Silly me! Now that I've had both the scanner plugged in and the original disc loaded, it has opened without any problem.
I have declined the registration process as I do hope to be moving from this 32bit (x86) version onto the 64bit (x64) version once the 64bit drivers become available for this Plustek 7600i scanner. Unless it is allowed to have both the 32bit and 64bit versions at the same time then I will register it and then the 64bit version when I can gain access to it. I admit that I've still got the 64bit version loaded on the computer awaiting the 64bit drivers.
The program looks promising and now to test it out.

Stephen

Return to “Plustek”