Settings for Plustek 7500i Main Window

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

SDRIDER
Visitor

Settings for Plustek 7500i Main Window

Postby SDRIDER » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:57 pm

In the Silverfast main window, Frame tab, Options, CMS settings there is a section titled "Profiles for ICM". In this section there is a field for INPUT with a pull down option list for Plustek scanners. I can't find the option for the 7500i scanner. Should I use the 7600i if so, which version (K,R,T)?

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Settings for Plustek 7500i Main Window

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Dear Sdrider

SDRIDER wrote:I can't find the option for the 7500i scanner.

It should be called something like "SFprofT (opticfilm 7500).icm"

SDRIDER wrote:if so, which version (K,R,T)?

K stands for Kodachrome, T for transparency and R for reflective (even though your scanner can not work with reflective material, windows requires both of them to work with the scanner).

If you do not find the profiles, then you might want to update your program to the latest update available from: https://www.silverfast.com/get_update/en.html

If you happen to have SilverFast Ai Studio IT8 it would also be better if you create your custom profiles using our Automatic IT8 calibration feature which generates better quality profiles.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

SDRIDER
Visitor

Postby SDRIDER » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks for explaining what K, T and R are. OK, I do have the latest updates(6.6.2R2)installed. That is when I noticed that there isn't an option for the Plustek 7500i. I had already calibrated my 7500i with the IT8 target. I'm assuming that I still need to set the settings for "Profiles for ICM" to link all this information together. Am I missing something? If I am, what should the INPUT settings be? Thanks!

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Dear customer,

the calibration process creates and selects the internal scanner profile.
You only have to select your output colorspace.
(e.g. AdobeRGB)

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

SDRIDER
Visitor

Postby SDRIDER » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 am

Thank you for getting back with me. I’m not sure that using an “Internal/Output” setting of RGB is correct for my Color Management setting. I use the Plustek 7500i with IT8 calibration for scanning images. As long as I use the IT8 profile for my scan, the INPUT setting in Profiles for ICM should be set to “None”, right? If my scanned output then goes to Silverfast HDR my Color Management setting for “Internal/Output” should be set to “ICM” not RGB. In HDR my Color Management the “Internal/Output” setting should then be set to “RGB” (my required output format), right? As you can see this is somewhat confusing for me!

The last question that I have is the setting for Profiles in ICM “Internal”. I use Datacolor software to calibrate the monitor. I believe I need to use the profile created by this software for the “Internal” option setting instead of RGB, right?

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Dear customer,

For most setups the CMS settings should be as following:
Input->Internal : ICM
Internal->Monitor: ICM
Internal->Output: RGB

Input: This should be your Scanner ICC Profile.

Internal: your final image color space e.g. AdobeRGB

If you are not sure about this just delete your preferences and the software will be set to factory defaults which is suited for most common uses.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

SDRIDER
Visitor

Postby SDRIDER » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:34 am

I still have some questions that have not been answered. When I open Silverfast my Active Scan Frame shows that I have IT8 Calibration. The button is colored and is not grey.

In your last correspondence you suggested that I set the Profiles for ICM - “Input” to my “Scanner ICC Profile”. Please explain what is the “Scanner ICC Profile”. Is it the IT8 Calibration information already active with the colored button in the Active Scan Frame or is it the actual scanner model number that I’m using for scanning that can be selected from the pull down option list for “INPUT’?

Second question, my monitor has been calibrated using Datacolor software. When the calibration was done a specific file name was created to store the ICC profiles. In your last correspondence you suggested that I set Profiles for ICM – “Internal” to “Adobe RGB 1998”. When I look at the pull down option list for “Internal’, I also see that there is an option to use the ICC profiles that were created and stored using Datacolor. The question is, which pull down option should be used Adobe RGB1998 or the stored Datacolor ICC profile?

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

Dear Sdrider,

The color management system is a relatively complex topic which has been extensively discussed in the forum and explained on our documentation and some films. I recommend you to start by reading this blog articles:
http://blog.silverfast.com/quicktip-color-management-system-in-silverfast-part-1/
http://blog.silverfast.com/quicktip-color-management-system-in-silverfast-part-2/
http://blog.silverfast.com/quicktip-color-management-system-in-silverfast-part-3/

You can also refer to the chapter 7 of the user manual found at: http://www.silverfast.com/documentation/en.html

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Plustek”