All the problems with Plustek film scanners

nickc
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7200
SilverFast Product: SE

Scan Quality

Postby nickc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi,

My wife bought me a Plustek 7200 for Xmas to allow me to scan some old 35mm slides. Didn't want to spend a huge amount of money because once the slides are scanned the scanner will never be used again. I already have an Epson flatbed scanner but scanning slides on that is a real chore.

However the results of scans using Quickscan or Silverfast are basically unusable.

I raised a support call with Silverfast immediately after xmas and got a quick response initially but they've come up with nothing and seem to have run out of ideas.....

I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers, downloaded and installed the latest version of silverfast, uninstalled my webcam and flatbed scanner drivers.

I don't expect image quality to match my digital camera, or even the flatbed but is this the best I can expect from the scanner? If thats the case I've got a slide scanner which can't scan slides.

Thanks

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Re: Scan Quality

Postby LSI_Rossee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 am

Dear nickc,

usually scanresults from a dedicated filmscanner are superior to those from a flatbed scanner + transparency unit. If the results from your flatbed are better then I strongly suspect there may be a hardware problem. The image looks as if the CCD calibration is faulty. Sorry for not being more helpful but that's all I can say at this point.

Best,

JAN

nickc
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7200
SilverFast Product: SE

Postby nickc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for that - TBH I was beginning to suspect hardware. I tried the scanner on another PC which has never had a scanner or webcam attached and the results are just as poor.

Hopefully my wife has kept the receipt for it......

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:37 am

Dear nlckc,

It is likely that the problem is related to hardware. Since it is also present with QuickScan and in different computers. In this case you might want to contact your scanner vendor for a replacement.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Plustek”