All the problems with Plustek film scanners

Ronrr
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Overexposed orange prescan and scans

Postby Ronrr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 pm

I've worked with negative/slide scanners and software for over ten years. I recently bought a Plustek7600i and am trying out Silverfast 8 or Silverfast 6.6. I've never seen such crummy prescans and scans from negatives (Kodak35mm). Everything on the prescan is overexposed to the point of lost details in the highlights. Skintones look reddish orange as well as the rest of the image. Doesn't matter how I use NegaFix, or what Vendor, Film type, or ISO/ASA I've tried using.I've tried adjusting as many color settings and density settings as I can find in the silverfast software as I can see available. But nothing helps. I still can't get a decent prescan or scan. Trying to fix the problem in Photoshop doesn't help, the highlight details are lost. Is there a solution to adjusting denisty and color corrections when prescaning and scanning that I am missing with the software?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Overexposed orange prescan and scans

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Dear customer,

Please make sure the red scanframe is set exactly around the image content.
Otherwise the histogram will not be correct.

Have you checked the Highlights and shadows in the histogram?
Are those set correctly?

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Ronrr
Visitor

Postby Ronrr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Yes, the red scanframe is within the boundries of the frame I'm scanning and yes I've checked the histogram settings and adjust them. But even at maximum settings/deflection (through the histogram) it's still not enough to get a decent exposure on prescan or final scan.
I've tried both negatives and kodachrome slides and while the negatives are overexposed and orange cast, the slides are just as underexposed and muddy. This to me (as an experienced color lab tech) means either a light source, in the scanner, that is not exposing the negatives or slides properly, or a software problem.
Additionally, do over prescans/scans of the same negative/slide or even adjacent negatives/slides, (shot under the same scene lighting conditions) yeild a different results with every prescan/scan. Nothing consistent and none of them acceptable.

Ronrr
Visitor

Postby Ronrr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

This seems to me to be a scanner led light source problem of not exposing negatives with enough intenisty of light or enough time, thereby leaving negatives washed out with no detail in the highlights and with slides that are too dark with lost details in the shadows.
Yes I have placed the red scanframe within the image, and since you can't do that until the images is prescanned anyways, I don't understand how you can adjust the red scanframe before an image is scanned. Seems like a pretty simplist answer to me.
But never mind I already returned my scanner to the store for a refund and deleted Silverfast software from my computer. I don't want to make a career just out of trying to figure out your machine or software.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:35 pm

That probably only was an issue regarding the highlights and shadows not being set.
I do not think the scanner was responsible.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Plustek”