OpticFilm 7400, SilverFast 8.5, Windows 7 64 - no go

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

unustus
Visitor
Scanner: OpticFilm 7400
SilverFast Product: SE

OpticFilm 7400, SilverFast 8.5, Windows 7 64 - no go

Postby unustus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:44 pm

For days I have been trying to get my OpticFilm 7400 installed on my laptop. Hours and hours spent in vain, uncountable restarts, extensive searches for possible tips - still nothing works. I had SilverFast 6.6, then found out about the 32/64 bit conflict and upgraded SilverFast to 8.5. Also downloaded the latest driver from Plustek. The only thing I managed to do was to lose my sound card and web cam! And I cannot reinstall the drivers, it seems, so I'll have to start from scratch again with my rescue disks.

Tonight I for a moment thought I had solved the problem, both drivers installed without any error messages, but on starting SilverFast, I was not able to serialize it or anything else. Checking the Device Manager I saw my scanner listed as a 120, so I uninstalled it again. And now once again nothing is working.

So when I get my laptop back into shape, I want to be absolutely sure I do the installation the right way. But I am beginning to fear I won't be able to. I just read a post mentioning that you have to have your original CD mounted in order to install the upgraded version. The horror of this is that my scanner is several years old, I changed my computer since I got it, and somehow at some point I lost my CDs! I managed to find my serial number in an old email, and I had saved copies of the old files, but they were of course the 32 bit versions. So here I am now - with a scanner and newly upgraded software - fearing I won't be able to scan again.

How can I possibly install without the CD?
If it can be done, how do I go about it?
And what is the precise procedure for the installation? I am so confused by now I need an explanation for dummies. Any help to get here?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: OpticFilm 7400, SilverFast 8.5, Windows 7 64 - no go

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Dear customer,

A CD is not needed. You can install the latest update from our website. Our "updates" are always full installation files. A previous installation is not necessary.
If you got a serial number bound to a CD you can exchange it for a name-based, non-CD serial here on our website.

For installation you only need the latest drivers from the Plustek website and the latest SilverFast version from ours.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Plustek”