omaha_dad
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Kodachrome Slides: Improving Results

Postby omaha_dad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been scanning with a Plustek 7600i for a few weeks now. The scanning of 35mm negatives with Negafix has been spectacular - the negatives had great detail never seen before in my old prints.

A big part of my project are old Kodachrome slides. Most of them turn out great, but I'm finding that slides that were originally underexposed (or overexposed), or ones that have both dark shadows and bright reflections tend to have a blue tint, or look a bit dull. I've been comparing the scan results to how they look on an old silver screen through a slide projector.

I recalibrated by scanner with the Kodachrome IT8 provided by Silverfast, which improved things, but things aren't quite close enough yet. Below are some sample scans:

Before the Kodachrome IT8 Calibration:

After the Kodachrome IT8 Calibration:

DSLR Photo of the slide projected on a silver screen:

I'm humbly looking for suggestions on how I can tweak my settings to get these from 'blue & ok' to 'brilliant'.

Thanks for your time.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Kodachrome Slides: Improving Results

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Dear customer,

First please remember that the result is always a combination of the lightsource, the sensor and the image.
The combination scanner light + scanner sensor will never give the exactly same result as a projector lamp + silver + camera.

You can only make sure your highlights and shadows are set correctly and that your gamma curve is adjusted correctly.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

omaha_dad
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Postby omaha_dad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:40 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have found that adjusting the midpoints of red and blue get me closer the results I'm looking for. Once I get this slide perfect, I'll post another photo to show the improvements, and what I did to get there.

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Have a search over on Luminous Landscape forums for how to deal with this issue. There is a detailed technical discussion and some good reference info.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/

Frank

Return to “Plustek”