Just bought an OpticFilm with SilverFast SE

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

glc
Visitor

Just bought an OpticFilm with SilverFast SE

Postby glc » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi,
I just bought a OpticFilm 7200 scanner and SilverFast SE came with it.
I've been scanning color negatives and they come out fine and the print outs aren't bad too.

But I'm new to this activity and couldn't tell really what is good or not so I'm filled with questions.

Is there a preferred way of scanning film negatives? Something like a wiser way?

The way I do is to set the dpi to Photoprint 300 dpi, the Output scale to 6x4, save as jpeg and then print it out after some color adjustments and sharpening.

But I'm thinking about using the 48 HDR color and tiff type to have better image quality and also save myself from re-scanning again to show/print other sizes.

I have some questions concering SilverFast SE:
1) The gamma gradation number, how should I set it? It's applied to the image and it's not the input for the CRT's current gamma, right?
2) The "For HDR" tick box beside it, what does it mean?

Thanks and hope to get a reply.
Nikon F55 70-300G
Plustek Opticfilm 7200

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Hello glc,

I think you should invest in the SilverFast: Official Guide as a good starting point. It will answer some of your questions and some that you haven't thought of yet. In addition it will open your eyes to many possibilities!

You might also consider taking a class of some sort if you plan to take full advantage of your tools.

Hope this helps!
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

glc
Visitor

Postby glc » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 pm

I guess you're right.
Might as well indulge deeper while I'm at it and get to know why pictures from 5MB digital cameras say 72 dpi.

Thanks.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:50 pm

glc,

You will learn to understand why your 5 megapixel digital camera provides images at 72 dots per inch (more accurately pixels per inch).

If you don't understand after reading the section on resolution in the book send another message and I'll see if I can't help.
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

glc
Visitor

Postby glc » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:09 pm

My, I seem not be able to stop smiling making me think that what I'm doing is alright already.
Nikon F55 70-300G

Plustek Opticfilm 7200

Return to “Plustek”