Images Results are Dark

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

thebradnetwork
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7600i

Images Results are Dark

Postby thebradnetwork » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 pm

I am having an issue with my scans coming out extremely dark. I am scanning kodachrome slides along with a few other kinds of positives. Any ideas as to why this is happening? From what I have gathered from reading other threads is that I can manipulate the gamma. I have moved it up and down and I still not getting any kind of positive results. Are there any particular setting I need to set to correct this problem. I have attached an example of the problem.

-Brad
Attachments
scan.jpg
scan.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Images Results are Dark

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:26 am

Please make sure your output bitdeapth is not set to 48/64bit HDR(i).
Those are raw images with out any adjustments and intended to be processed in SilverFast HDR (studio).

Also make sure you have used either the auto image adjustment or the manual pipette to set the highlights and shadows.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

thebradnetwork
Visitor

Postby thebradnetwork » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I have set everything to 48 bit and I am still getting the same results.

Also make sure you have used either the auto image adjustment or the manual pipette to set the highlights and shadows

Correct me if Im wrong but if I do it this way I will be editing the image in post correct? If that is the case then I will not have enough information to edit the photo and give me a good quality image. Or does the Silverfast let you edit the prescan and then once you have made your adjustments it adjusts the light according to your adjustments.

Regardless I am getting the same results over and over. I can edit brighten up the image but I will get noise. It just seems like there should be a way to adjust exposer time inside the scanner from Silverfast.

thebradnetwork
Visitor

Postby thebradnetwork » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 am

I am scanning in 48 > 24 and I am still having the same problem. To me the problem looks like the scanner isn't exposing long enough to pull light in or the scanner isnt emitting enough light. I am not interested in editing them in post and having the image come out graining because of a poor scan. Is the any way that I can manipulate the exposer on the scanner via Silverfast?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

Setting the highlights and shadows is an essential step.
This is required so the image data can be correctly rendered from the device color space into the target colorspace.
If they ar not set correctly image data will be lost.
This is not a matter if image editing.

Also please check that you are set to transparency mode.
Make sure that the lamp in the transparency unit lights up correctly and not the reflective lamp in the chassis.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Lonald
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i
SilverFast Product: Ai

Postby Lonald » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:35 pm

How do I know if the transparency lamp is lit vs. the reflective lamp? I am having the same problem as above.

Also, I am not sure that the driver upgrade is working on my Win7 64 bit system. When I check the driver in Device Manager it shows "Film Scanner 5/2/2007 Version 2.0.0.0

This doesn't appear correct.

Help!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 am

Hi there
Lonald wrote:How do I know if the transparency lamp is lit vs. the reflective lamp? I am having the same problem as above.

You can for instance open the transparency unit and make a prescan in transparency mode. If its light shines then it is working, if not, you should check the cables connecting it to the main scanning unit.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

KeithTalbot
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 8200i
SilverFast Product: SE Plus

Postby KeithTalbot » Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question (and maybe it is one for Plustek not Lasersoft) but how do you check if the transmissive v. reflective light source is activated on a Plustek film scanner ?
It is a sealed unit that you slide the film holder into ?

Regards, Keith

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue May 15, 2012 8:26 am

Dear Keith,

The OpticFilm series does not have a reflective mode.
Only the OpticPro series has a reflective mode.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Plustek”