How do I achieve un-adjusted scans?

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

DTW
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek 7600i

How do I achieve un-adjusted scans?

Postby DTW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi,
I intentionally overexpose my film shots by 1 to 2 stops and I want to scan the film in as it is: no auto exposure adjustments etc.
The local film lab does this for me (turns off all auto adjustments) and I then pull down the levels in post processing to achieve the look I am after. I bought this scanner because I want to do the scanning myself.

However, I cannot seem to get an unadjusted scan done with the plustek 7600i / Silverfast 8. It seems to analyse the preview and pull down brightness. My attempts to manually pull the exposure/midtones back up do not give satisfactory results.

The only way I have managed to 'trick' the scanner is to shoot 2 photos:

1) "Normal exposure"
2) Over exposed photo

I then pre-scan the normal exposure but then insert the second photo and scan it without doing another pre-scan. So the scanner thinks its scanning the normal photo and gives me the results I want from the second photo.

I'm really hoping someone can tell me how I can do this without having to take 2 photos of everything?

Much appreciated

Darren

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: How do I achieve un-adjusted scans?

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Darren,

You can produce an unmodified raw scan of your pictures by working in 48 bit HDR or 64 bit HDRi modes. It also means, you will have to edit your pictures with an external editor and adjust the gamma gradation.

Further details on multiple forum threads with this topics (use words above as keywords).

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Plustek”