Erratic behaviour of CMS settings in Options panel

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Erratic behaviour of CMS settings in Options panel

Postby dcnicholls » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 am

I've just updated my installation to the latest version of Silverfast Ai, version 6.5.5r1

Not sure if this is just a Plustek issue or more general.

When I first ran it today, under Options > CMS, initially the Embedded ICC profile default showed a Plustek ICC. When I checked the Select box I was able to choose Adobe RGB from a list. Subsequent scans embedded Adobe RGB in the TIFF output file.

Since then things have been behaving strangely. There are many peculiar behaviours, and I'll describe the simplest one here.

In the Options > CMS panel:

Initially with everything set to <None> or RGB:

Colour Management > Internal->Monitor set to ICM

Nothing happens and if I click Apply I get an error message "following settings missing: Internal", yet the Profiles for ICM > Internal drop down is greyed out.

BUG.

If I change Colour Management > Internal->Output to ICM, this allows me to select the Internal ICM - it is no longer greyed out.

But the Embedded ICC profile still defaults to <None>.

If I change Profiles for ICM > Output /Printer to some printer profile, the Embedded ICC profile changes to whatever printer I have chosen. If I then change Profiles for ICM > Output/Printer to <None>, the Embedded ICC Profile > Profile to Embed changes to <None>. But if I then change Colour Management > Internal->Output to <RGB>, the Embedded ICC profile changes to Adobe RGB.

I click apply and all appears to be OK.

If I then scan an image, however, no profile is embedded. I am certain I was able to embed Adobe RGB in output files earlier today.

It is very confusing and I am sure things are not working as they ought to.

Surely it should be possible to embed aan ICC prifle like Adobe RGB for subsequent use in Photoshop?

I can discuss on Skype if required. (I am in eastern Australia, UT+10)
__
DN

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:11 pm

OK, I appear to have got back the profile embedding by deleting the prefs files as explained on http://www.silverfast.com/faq/2001/en.html (the diagram is wrong - an old version - but the instructions are correct).

Whether the settings stay working remains to be seen. If not I shall re-post here.
__

DN

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 am

Dear dcnicholls,

still working okay at your place?

Best regards
Martin

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 am

Last time I used it, yes, but I've moved over to an iMac and the Plustek 7200i doesn't have drivers for OS X.

I still do boot up XP on my laptop and use the Plustek occasionally. I've not yet got around to installing Parallels on the iMac.

I'll likely buy a Nikon scanner because (last time I looked) the Plustek people aren't interested in building drivers for the Mac.

DN
__

DN

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:46 am

Dear dcnicholls,

SilverFast for the Plustek film scanners 7500i and 7300 works under MacOSX, too, but unfortunately not for the (older) 7200i.

Best regards
Martin

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 am

Yes, that was what I thought. I'll take a look at the newer Plustek scanners. Any advice on which is the better choice for 35mm film and slides?

DN
__

DN

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Dear dcnicholls,

the main difference is that the 7500i supports our iSRD, whereas the 7300 does not.
Multi-Exposure is supported by both of them.

Best regards,
Martin

dcnicholls
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dcnicholls » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks, Martin. I'll take a look at the 7500i.
__

DN

Return to “Plustek”