Joann
Visitor
Scanner: OpticFilm 7400
SilverFast Product: SE

Ektachrome 126 Slides, Preview too small

Postby Joann » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Help!

equipment: OpticFilm Scanner 7400
software: Silverfast V6 - but expecting to upgrade to V8 today or ASAP.

Attempting to scan Ektachrome 126 slides, but the preview window is too small for this square slide format.

How do I increase the size of the preview window, so I can crop the images to fit? Is there a preference or setting that can be added to the presets? The default prescan crops the image at the top and bottom.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Ektachrome 126 Slides, Preview too small

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Joan

I am guessing your slides come from a 126 film cartridge and not from a 126 roll (medium format).

The problem here is not the software, if you check the film holder, you will notice it was created with the 35 mm format, if your slides are slightly bigger than this (especially the upper and lower parts), the film holder itself will crop the images.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Joann
Visitor

Postby Joann » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:54 pm

That doesn't make sense. The slides are Kodachrome (Ektachrome) Transparencies. They are square. The cardboard/plastic slide frame does not crop the image. The entire square image is visible on the slide itself. The problem is that the preview window is not large enough. Even if I stretch the red crop bars to their maximum, the very top and very bottom of the image are still outside the boundaries of the preview window. I'd like to get the entire image into the scan, including the rounded corners of the slide holder. But the preview window isn't big enough. How do I make the preview window bigger?

FYI: Upgraded to 8.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Joan,

would you please be very kind as to send us some screenshots of SilverFast with the preview image to illustrate the issue?

Thanks
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Joann
Visitor

Postby Joann » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Moderator,

Attached are two screen shots that show the preview cropping issue. The first image shows the preview, with the default red scan frame. The second image shows the red scan frame extended to the maximum size. As you can see, the preview window is not large enough to contain the entire 126 image. The very 3% of the bottom and the 3% of the very top are not visible. I'd like to get the whole square frame inside the preview window. How do I do that?
Attachments
Picture 1(2).png
Picture 1(2).png (113.43 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Picture 2(2).png
Picture 2(2).png (113.75 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Joann

First, thank you for the pictures illustrating the issue.

Joann wrote:As you can see, the preview window is not large enough to contain the entire 126 image. The very 3% of the bottom and the 3% of the very top are not visible. I'd like to get the whole square frame inside the preview window. How do I do that?

The preview window is as big as it gets.

The sensor does not move any more. Physically the scanner is not capable of capturing any bigger.

Most likely the camera used for this slides was doing some 30mm * 30 mm instead of the 26.5 mm * 26.5 mm of the format.

I guess the options are to scan at the maximum offered or used a different device for this purpose

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Return to “Plustek”