Best Settings OpticFilm 7300 with SilverFast SE ( 6.6.Or2)

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

santorkra
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7200
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Best Settings OpticFilm 7300 with SilverFast SE ( 6.6.Or2)

Postby santorkra » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi,

I want to scan my colour 35mm slides in the best possible way but am fairly new to SilverFast SE Plus and am having trouble obtaining good results. Currently, the slides I'm scanning are grainy and washed out and I have no idea why. The same slides scanned at a professional photo shop are clear and sharp (I experimented with 10 slides).

I am currently using these settings: Scan Mode - Normal; Positive; Scan Type - 48->24 bit colour;
Filter - Auto Sharpen; Image Type - Standard.

Could anyone explain the following:

1) What filter I should I be using, Autosharpen or Sharpen (USM) or another?
2) What "scan type" should I use, 48->24 bit colour or another?
3) What exactly is USM? SilverFast work flow suggests that I use it but I don't see
an icon for this.
4) Should I use Multi-Exposure or not?
5) Should I use AACO or not?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Best Settings OpticFilm 7300 with SilverFast SE ( 6.6.Or2)

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:35 am

Dear Santorkra,

There is not such a thing like "Best Settings". It is all dependent on what you want to achieve and the material you are scanning. This makes the statement "best settings" to a very subjective one.

Since only you know what is it that you want and the material and picture you are working with. Only you can decide what you want to use. Hence you need to familiarize with the tools and capabilities of your scanner and the software that controls your device.

All your questions are answered on our manual, documentation and video tutorials. Please check the following link where you can find very useful information: http://www.silverfast.com/knowledge/

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

santorkra
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7200
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Re: Best Settings OpticFilm 7300 with SilverFast SE ( 6.6.Or2)

Postby santorkra » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 am

OK. Everything is subjective when it comes to judgement of aesthetics. Fine. :)

I thought, perhaps, that there might be a an objective position with regard to, for instance, scanning using 48->24 bit colour or other setting. Like I said, my slides are appearing grainy and washed out and I have no idea why. This is beyond aesthetics, it is something, I'm sure, to do with my settings as the professionals are not getting these results.

I'll have a more thorough look at the documentation although, I must confess, that it is slightly arcane at times.

Thanks for your help again.

Return to “Plustek”