santorkra
Visitor
Scanner: Plustek OpticFilm 7200
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Best Resolution: OpticFilm 7300 slides

Postby santorkra » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi Again,

I have recently bought a Plustek OpticFilm 7300 with SilverFast SE (6.6.0r2). According to the manufacturer, the scanner's maximum optical resolution is 7200 dpi.

As a result, I have been setting my output resolution as "Other" and then entering
7200 dpi in the input field box next to the slide bar. Unfortunately, all of my scanned
images are appearing grainy, washed out, and lifeless. Some of the same slides
scanned at a professional photoshop are clear, full of life, and sharp.

I have three questions about this that I hope someone can help with:

1) Should I be setting the output resolution for 7200 dpi? When I drag the
output resolution slider to the right, the final (interpoloted) resolution
is 10,000 dpi but the penultimate setting is 5000 dpi (i.e, the position before the last). Is this the maximum opitical
resolution of my scanner?

2) I have noticed that the slides scanned by the professional are set at an output
of 12"x18" at 300 dpi. When I set my output resolution this way, instead of manually
entering an output resolution my scanned slide image quality improves and, also,
I can apply SRD much, much faster (on 7200 dpi slide, SRD takes SO long to apply as my
computer slows right down)

Given that scanned slides will probably be printed at 300ppi, is it better to set
the output resolution manually at the highest possible setting (e.g., 3600, 5000, etc) with
the slider OR should I instead, set the Output according to the size that I might want
my images printed at (e.g,. 8x10 or 12x18)?

THANKS!!!!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Best Resolution: OpticFilm 7300 slides

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Dear Santorkra,

santorkra wrote:1) Should I be setting the output resolution for 7200 dpi? When I drag the
output resolution slider to the right, the final (interpoloted) resolution
is 10,000 dpi but the penultimate setting is 5000 dpi (i.e, the position before the last). Is this the maximum opitical
resolution of my scanner?

The final interpolated resolution should be 7200 dpi (it means you are using an old version of SilverFast). It is strongly recommended to work with the latest version of SilverFast, please make sure you register your software and install the latest version of the program.

Actually the maximum optical resolution of your scanner is 3600 dpi

santorkra wrote:2) I have noticed that the slides scanned by the professional are set at an output
of 12"x18" at 300 dpi. When I set my output resolution this way, instead of manually
entering an output resolution my scanned slide image quality improves and, also,
I can apply SRD much, much faster (on 7200 dpi slide, SRD takes SO long to apply as my
computer slows right down)

When you use 7200 dpi all processes will take longer than if you use 5400 dpi (although both resulting images are likely to be interpolated).

santorkra wrote:Given that scanned slides will probably be printed at 300ppi, is it better to set
the output resolution manually at the highest possible setting (e.g., 3600, 5000, etc) with
the slider OR should I instead, set the Output according to the size that I might want
my images printed at (e.g,. 8x10 or 12x18)?

Well that is a relative question. The slider option to 3600 dpi will give you the highest optical resolution of the scanner, the other option will probably give you an interpolated resolution. At printing both pictures, most likely the computer the program where you are printing from or the printer itself will interpolate all pictures which do not have exactly the same size the printer needs (even if you scanned with the highest optical resolution). The question comes down to which interpolation method is best?

This is again relative and subjective, some people likes better the interpolation done in SilverFast other people like it better scanning at the highest optical resolution and then letting their editing suite or printer driver make the resizing and interpolation.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

santorkra
Visitor

Postby santorkra » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 am

Very interesting. Thanks.

1. You suggest that, ultimately, interpolation might be used (either by imaging software or printer driver) during the printing process and that the decision to employ imaging software or printer drivers in this regard is subjective. I think I take your point here: you are saying that if I rely on SilverFast to do the interpolation that is likely to occur in any production of prints, then setting the output according to the size (e.g, 8x10) that I'll print my images is acceptable. But if I am relying on another editing suite or printer driver to do the interpolation then setting the output settings to the highest optical resolution is acceptable.

In a nutshell, I'm simply trying to establish whether I should use the slider to establish output resolution or whether I should just go ahead and set the output at 8x10 or 12x18 which is what my prints will be.

2. Hypothetically speaking, if printing wasn't my ojbective, does scanning at the hightest optical resolution (which you say is 3600 dpi for my scanner) produce better results than using interpolation (at 5400 or 7200 dpi)? In other words, is it better to avoid interpolation in the production of TIFF images?

3. Given what you say about the maximum resolution of my scanner, when Plustek tells me that the OpticFilm 7300 can achieve 7200 dpi they are, in fact, talking about the hightest interpolated setting..... correct?

4. You mention that I am using an old software version. I have certainly registered it but how do I update it and to what version (Silverfast AI or another version of SE Plus? I am currently using 6.6.0r2)?

Thanks again for your kind assistance!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 am

Dear santorkra,

santorkra wrote:I think I take your point here: you are saying that if I rely on SilverFast to do the interpolation that is likely to occur in any production of prints, then setting the output according to the size (e.g, 8x10) that I'll print my images is acceptable.

Right, but only if you are completely sure your printer will not do any resizing when printing (not all printers have a complete control level where you can specify whether or not to resize or to print to the paper borders).

santorkra wrote:But if I am relying on another editing suite or printer driver to do the interpolation then setting the output settings to the highest optical resolution is acceptable.

Its also right.
The main difference between this two approaches is: if you apply interpolation during the scanning stage, it will be applied directly before the file is created (or during its creation). If you apply interpolation during the edition stage, you are actually using different algorithms than those in SilverFast, some purists argue that by doing this you are affecting the quality of the file. (I personally prefer the second option, use the best optical quality, it is easy to adjust with the slider, besides I use my picture for multiple purposes; not only for printing but also on the internet or tv).

santorkra wrote:2. Hypothetically speaking, if printing wasn't my ojbective, does scanning at the hightest optical resolution (which you say is 3600 dpi for my scanner) produce better results than using interpolation (at 5400 or 7200 dpi)? In other words, is it better to avoid interpolation in the production of TIFF images?

Actually, human eyes and cameras are optical devices, there is no digital interpolation in its processes (perhaps in modern digital cameras some interpolation takes place but at the digital stage of the image capture).
Optical resolution in the scanner means the same, in my opinion it might be better than interpolation values because you are actually having a true optical representation of the film and not some pixels created by a math formula.

santorkra wrote:3. Given what you say about the maximum resolution of my scanner, when Plustek tells me that the OpticFilm 7300 can achieve 7200 dpi they are, in fact, talking about the hightest interpolated setting..... correct?

I believe so, appart from interpolation, there are many things that happen inside the scanner which reduce the real optical resolution.
Actually 3600 dpi is a very high resolution value for a film scanner which might even top the resolution of negative films. If you are really interested in this topic, there are many articles out there on the internet about scanners real optical resolution.

santorkra wrote:4. You mention that I am using an old software version. I have certainly registered it but how do I update it and to what version (Silverfast AI or another version of SE Plus? I am currently using 6.6.0r2)?

If you already register SilverFast on our site, you can access updates on our site sing the big "update" button on the upper right side of the website or by following the next link, the respective update of SilverFast for your serial number will be available: https://www.silverfast.com/get_update/en.html

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

santorkra
Visitor

Postby santorkra » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 am

This is very helpful. Thank you very much.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:50 am

Dear Santorka,

My pleasure

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

santorkra
Visitor

Postby santorkra » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 am

Hello Alejandro,

Could you clarify one thing please.You mention above that the OpticFilm 7300 does not have a true optical resolution of 7200dpi.

I understand what you are saying about many variables reducing a scanner's real optical resolution and I have read (from a few sources) that it is difficult to get more thatn 2800 dpi out of 35mm slides (although this is debated).

Why does Plustek support insist that the above scanner does, in fact, have a true optical resolutionof 7200dpi?

(Any links to articles on the subject would be welcome).

Thanks.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:42 am

Dear santorkra,

The following link will take you to probably one of the best (if not the best) scanner stores out there, "ScanDig", those guys not only sell equipment but perform high quality tests of all products they sell.

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7300.html

Please make sure you read the entire article that illustrate the test and inform of some factors that influence the real resolution in a scanner.

Best Regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Return to “Plustek”