All the problems with Plustek film scanners

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User
Scanner: Plustek 7600i se
SilverFast Product: SE Plus

Archiving many negs

Postby garyritson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Hello there all, I'm very new to scanning and would like to scan my negs for achiving but also to be able to work on them later. I have a plustek 7600i se and I am slowly getting to grips with it. Does anyone have any idea what the best way to scan negs is? Ie what settingsto use. I understand setting are personal and are subjective but I'm looking for a balance between file size and good quality so as the final printed images don't look too grainy. First I want to get as many as I can into the new hard drive then start working on them to be used in an photobook. I'm guessing photo books are printed at 300dpi!!! The photos can then be taken to a lab and dropped off on a disc. IE Not over the internet so file size to retain quality of image is important. I guess none of the photos are going to be printed larger than 5x7inches. I also have CS2 if someone suggests I use Silverfast for one thing and photoshop for another.
Thanks
Any help at all would be great to get me started.
Gary

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Archiving many negs

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Dear Gary,

You are right most of the settings have to be coosen by you according to your needs.
e.g.
If you want to scan directly for a certain print size you can choose the intended print resolution (e.g. 300dpi) using the resolution slider/input field.
Then you can enter the intended print size (e.g. 5"x7") as the output fields.
This will provide scans with exactly the right size for the intended use.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you for your speedy reply. I am getting better with the software but I do have a few more questions.
During setup I selected send scanned image to be opened up in photoshop. How do I now change this?

Also is there any benefit to having a larger dpi output resolution? Say its currently at 720dpi for a 5.5mb 6cmx4cm picture. What advantage will I gain by moving the slider to the right to say 1200dpi (increasing the file size)but leaving it at 6cm x 4cm if any bearing in mind i'm not going to be printing any bigger than this.

Thanks
Gary

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:43 pm

If you are using the stand alone version of SilverFast you can choose if an image should opened after scanning in the option's general tab.
The program which opens individual files is set by the operating system.
If you want to change that to another software you have to click a file of the corresponding file format(s) (.jpg and .tiff) and select a different program to open them.

Larger resolutions will provide more image information.
Outputsize and slider are meannt to help you determine the most suited resolution.

e.g.
output size of 6 x 4cm and resolution 300dpi means that if the image is printed at 300dpi it will be 6x4cm large.
(Printed at 150dpi the same image would result in a print twice that size [12x8cm])
The actual resolution of the image is given by the scaling and the resolution.
A scaling of 300% and a slider resolution of 300dpi will actually produce an image with 900dpi (3x300).
So setting the slider to 900dpi and the scaling to 100% will give an image of the same size.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Dear Sir, Thanks again for your reply's. It seems for what I want to do (scan my negatives to be worked on later) that it would be better to have an achive suite with the HDR or HDRi function so I can get RAW files from the negatives and slides. Could you tell me what I can't do with the HDR as opposed to the HDRi version. It looks like I'll have to buy the upgrade crossover RAW function in HDR. Is the HDRi only available to work with Silverfast ai and the HDR with silverfast se?
Thanks Gary

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 am

Dear Gary,

48bit HDR and 64 bit HDRi are the two color HDR formats we offer.
64bit HDRi includes the infrared channel and is the preferred format.

If you want to compare SilverFast HDR and SilverFast HDR Studio you find a comparison on our webpage.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 am

Dear Arne,
I have the silverfast software that came with my plustek 7600i scanner. I guess this is a basic version. My aim is to scan my negatives to be worked on later and ideally to have them scanned in raw format is probably best. However I am still a little confused as to which to go for. HDR or HDRi. I see that HDRi has the infra red channel. Does this HDRi infra red channel come with the Silverfast Archive Suite SE as it says on the bottom of this page

http://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfa ... se/en.html

or as I am finding quite confusing where it says at the top of the same page

The SilverFast Archive Suite SE consists of the two programs:
SilverFast SE Plus and SilverFast HDR

Would you please clarify this please, I am not getting anywhere

Thanks again for your time.
Gary

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:10 am

Hi garyritson,

The infrared channel depends on the scanner you are working with, some scanners have the infrared lamp others don't. Yours does, hence you have this option available. So in your case you can work with theh HDRi format.

The archive suite does in fact consist of two programs as explained in the website.

SE Plus will be used to create your raw files HDRi and HDR will be used to make the optimizations later.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

Dear Alejandro,
Thank you for your reply,

How can I compare side by side Archive Suite and Archive Suite SE?

Gary

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am

Dear Alejandro,

I notice from the optimixed workflow diagrams on the Archive Suite and Archive Suite SE web pages that Archive Suite SE scans into 48bit HDR whereas on the diagram for Archive Suite it batch scans into 48 bit HRD / 64 bit HDRi. Does this mean Archive Suite SE does NOT do (support) 64 bit HDRi?

I realise that the auto frame finding function and the batch scanning functions of Archive Suite are not needed and are maybe reduntant for my Plustek 7600i scanner as my scanner only scans one frame at a time.

There is just the question of the 64 bit HDRi which is not listed on the diagram workflow of the Archive Suite SE version.

I really appreciate your patience in explaining this to me.

Thanking you
Gary

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Dear Gary,

You can compare Ai and Ai Studio in this table http://www.silverfast.com/comparison/scanner/en.html

garyritson wrote:I notice from the optimixed workflow diagrams on the Archive Suite and Archive Suite SE web pages that Archive Suite SE scans into 48bit HDR whereas on the diagram for Archive Suite it batch scans into 48 bit HRD / 64 bit HDRi. Does this mean Archive Suite SE does NOT do (support) 64 bit HDRi?

The 64 bit HDRi feature is included in the SE versions as well, as long as the scanner you are using for this has an infrared lamp included.
I will let our marketing people correct this.

Thanks

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Dear Alejandro,
Thank you for your replies. Things are certainly becoming clearer now.

I just have one more question. Can I have the plustek scanner and silverfast working on say my desktop at home and when I work away from home take the scanner and work on my negs with my laptop?

If so how do I go about doing this?
Gary

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 am

Dear Gary,

garyritson wrote:Can I have the plustek scanner and silverfast working on say my desktop at home and when I work away from home take the scanner and work on my negs with my laptop?

Well, technically it is possible to install SilverFast on as many computers as you want.
Legally (according to the software license) you should install SilverFast only on one computer and drive only one scanner at a time.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Dear Alejandro,
I have tried scanning with my current version of Silverfast SE with the scan type at 64bit hdri, it is then sent to photoshop, but when it opens up in photoshop it looks just like the colour negative!!!!!!!! Ie brown / orange colour.
Am I doing something wrong. On the General Tab I have pos/neg set to neg so i thought it should be displayed as a proper picture!!!

Thanks
Gary

garyritson
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby garyritson » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Dear Sir, If I was to upgrade to Silverfast Archive Suite as a download how would I get the scanner calibration IT8 tool? Would I have to order this separately or does it come throught the post at a later date included with the cost of the upgrade?
Thanks
Gary

Return to “Plustek”