7500i Optical Resolution

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

lbenac
Visitor

7500i Optical Resolution

Postby lbenac » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello,

I just acquired this scanner which includes Silverfast Ai (whichever flavor among the multiple that seem to exist :roll: ) .
I have read several posts about the non intuitive way to setup for scanning at the scanner optical resolution with no interpolation.
As far as I understand the posts, you need to put the Resolution slider (the one usefully labeled "mainly used for line art") one level down from all the way to the right with a 100% scale.
Now when pressing F5 instead of Ctrl you should also be shown what native resolution the scanner is going use. Not even talking about the Q-factor that seems to push whatever resolution you have chosen for output by a 1.5 ratio for scanning resolution - scan high then interpolate low?
According to literature this scanner has an optical resolution of 7200 dpi or ppi ?
The resolution scale gives me 10,000 all the way to the right - which has been described at 200% the optical resolution and 5,000 one step down to the left - which has been described at the optical resolution. No 7200 anywhere.
I which there would be a plain vanilla setup option - scan at 100% at scanner optical resolution with no interpolation - that I can tick and forget about forever.

Thank you in advance for any enlightenment.

Cheers,

Luc

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: 7500i Optical Resolution

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 am

Dear Ibenac,

SilverFast always uses the chosen scan resolution (calculated as the product from the resolution slider, scaling, and Q-factor),
or if the scanner does not offer this resolution, then the next higher resolution available from the scanner.

Best regards
Martin

lbenac
Visitor

Postby lbenac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:50 pm

LSI_Muenier wrote:Dear Ibenac,

SilverFast always uses the chosen scan resolution (calculated as the product from the resolution slider, scaling, and Q-factor),
or if the scanner does not offer this resolution, then the next higher resolution available from the scanner.

Best regards
Martin

LSI_Muenier wrote:Dear Tim,

to choose the optical resolution of a scanner, it is common in SilverFast to move the resolution slider to the last but one position to the right (and choosing a scaling of 100%). Please note that the rightmost position is for a resolution 200% above the optical resolution.

Best regards
Martin

Hello,

based on your previous posts in this forum, I would expect to see the far most right position on the slider to be 14,400 or twice the Max optical resolution and the position one step to the left to show 7,200 the max optical resolution given by the scanner (regardless if real world resolution is around 3,500).

Thanks.

Luc

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 am

Dear Luc,

14400 is way beyond any realistic the scanner is capable of producing.
A suitable resolution is possibly 3600 dpi.

Best regards
Martin

Return to “Plustek”