Silverfast crashing with IA-20 APS feeder

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

hellototo
Visitor

Silverfast crashing with IA-20 APS feeder

Postby hellototo » Wed May 20, 2009 5:32 am

I have been using Silverfast Ai with my Nikon Coolscan 5000 on Mac OS X 10.5.7 for the last year or so, and have been very happy with the results and the stability of the system. I have used both the strip film feeder and the slide adapter in conjunction with the film strip holder.

Recently I bought the IA-20 APS feeder to scan a large quantity of old APS film. The IA-20 seems to interface well with Silverfast, allowing batch scans of a whole roll at a time. However I have been amazed - and extremely frustrated - by the enormous number of crashes I have experienced. Mostly it is Silverfast either 'hanging' and requiring force quit, or Silverfast simply not recognising on being started that the scanner is and ready - which requires the scanner to be turned off and restarted, often with the APS film already loaded and thus unremovable. Silverfast almost always hangs when one film is complete and ejected and a new film is loaded.

I can't find much info about using the IA-20 on this forum. Does anyone have any experience and can offer some advice? Silverfast, any suggestions as to why this might occur?

Thanks

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Silverfast crashing with IA-20 APS feeder

Postby LSI_Luebker » Wed May 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Dear User,

please note that the Nikon Scanners are very sensitive when you connect certain feeder adapters, please always ensure that the adapters are properly seated and the film is loaded according to NIkons instructions. I know this sound very generic but it really is a crucial point with the Nikon Scanners.
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

Return to “Nikon”