Silverfast 8 / Nikon SF210 Feeders

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

Rufus
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon LS5000

Silverfast 8 / Nikon SF210 Feeders

Postby Rufus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:08 am

I see on the Silverfast 8 page that the Nikon SF210 slidefeeder is no longer supported.
Are their plans to add this support?
(v6.6 did support this feeder)

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Silverfast 8 / Nikon SF210 Feeders

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am

Hi Rufus,

The Slide feeder SF210 for the small Nikon scanners are not yet implemented.
We are working on finishing the implementation of the scanners first, film holders and slide feeders will follow.

There is not a specific date for this.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

creiter
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon Coolscan 4000 mit SF-200
SilverFast Product: HDR Studio
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Postby creiter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi

I'm really disappointed - this is really a show stopper, because 6.6 does not work with Mac OS 10.7.
How long will we have to wait - weeks, months or years? Any Hint?

Regards,
Christian

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 am

Hello there,

It will probably take a couple of months until we have implemented the slide feeder

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

a2d
Visitor

Postby a2d » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:36 pm

creiter wrote:I'm really disappointed - this is really a show stopper, because 6.6 does not work with Mac OS 10.7.

Same here - this is indeed a show stopper. Specifically since I was waiting for version 8 before making the final call on the software for my Nikon 5000...

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi

a2d wrote:Same here - this is indeed a show stopper. Specifically since I was waiting for version 8 before making the final call on the software for my Nikon 5000...

While it is actually an inconvenience for those who want to scan a large number of slides. I do not believe it is a show stopper. The scanner actually works with many of its film holders.

As I already explained we are working on this issue and your voices are being herd and added to the list of this feature implementation request.

Thank you for your patience

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

steveGoulden
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon 5000ED/SF210
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby steveGoulden » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Well hear my voice as well.
I am planning using those long winter nights putting an important selection of slides into a digital archive. Until I became aware of SilverFast, there was no satisfactory way to do this, and with v6.6 I was set up to do this. Now v6-6 doesn't work with OS Lion, and I don't want to have to keep 2 systems operational, OS 10.6.8/SF6.6, and OS7/SF8, which is the only way at the moment.

A real pain!!!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Steve,

+1 voice added to the request

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

steveGoulden
Visitor

Postby steveGoulden » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 am

I see that the web site now says "Slide feeders SF-200 and SF-210 are soon to be supported on OS X".

Can we have a date? Will those of us who are waiting be told, or do we have to keep going to the web site, for further frustration?

The long nights are already here, and I am waiting!!!

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Steve

steveGoulden wrote:Will those of us who are waiting be told, or do we have to keep going to the web site, for further frustration?

We will inform our customers via newsletter

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

steveGoulden
Visitor

Postby steveGoulden » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Still waiting!!!!!!

phasenohr
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon Coolscan 5000 + SF210
SilverFast Product: Ai

Silverfast 8 with SF-210, not usable

Postby phasenohr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Hello,

I just tried to use Silverfast 8.0 (which I bought by the way) to make a batch scan.
First problem I encountered was not to be able to specify the filename. Two comments about this:
1) I think that it is not up to the software to decide how my files should be named
2) If really the software wants to decide for me, it would be nice not to use spaces in the name between the root and the number between parenthesis. I have written scripts to process and copy my files to several locations and I can simply not use them anymore when there are spaces in the filenames.
Second problem I encountered was that I got some strange colours. In an attempt to identify the problem, I tried to scan a well known slide already scanned with SF6.6 and believe me or not but I have not been able to find the file on my computer!!! Obviously it has not been saved in the folder I chose but a search on the filesystem for recently modified files could not find it. The scanner scanned for a minute (with the multiexposure on) and no data in the end. This is just unbelievable!
Third problem I encountered is that iSRD is not available for HDR scans. I am used to scan in 48bits HDR with ICE on. I was aware that ICE was not supported in SF8 but I did not read that iSRD would not be available for HDR scans.

So I am very sorry to say that the only positive thing I have found so far about SF8 is that it did not uninstall SF6.6 which is currently batch scanning the slides I intended to scan with SF8. For the time being SF8.1 is simply not usable with a slide feeder 210.

Regards,
Paul

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Silverfast 8 with SF-210, not usable

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:02 am

Hi there,

phasenohr wrote:2) If really the software wants to decide for me, it would be nice not to use spaces in the name between the root and the number between parenthesis. I have written scripts to process and copy my files to several locations and I can simply not use them anymore when there are spaces in the filenames.

I have counted your vote to create a file naming feature similar to that in SilverFast 6.

phasenohr wrote: iSRD is not available for HDR scans. I am used to scan in 48bits HDR with ICE on. I was aware that ICE was not supported in SF8 but I did not read that iSRD would not be available for HDR scans.

That is correct. The idea behind HDR and HDRi files is to create unmodified raw files, it means without any corrections (including those of iSRD). You can however create HDRi files which contain the infrared channel information.

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

pxxb
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED
SilverFast Product: HDR Studio

Postby pxxb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 pm

When I took the suggestion to uninstall the prior version of Silverfast and install V8 I had no idea the SF-210 would not be supported. Looking at the prior comments from Silverfast from August '11 ... "We are working on finishing the implementation of the scanners first, film holders and slide feeders will follow.". Christ, by the time the SF-210 is supported on V8, they will be on V9. Had it occurred to me that V* would not support the SF-210, I would not have upgraded. :-(

When will the SF-210 be supported?

mauval
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon ED 5000, Nikon ED IV
SilverFast Product: Ai
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Re: Silverfast 8 with SF-210, not usable

Postby mauval » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:35 pm

I bought SF 6.6 for my Nikon LD V and S 8 for LD 5000. So, the SF8 doesn't work on my LD 5000 Nikon SF 210 feeder booth with OS 10.6 and 10.7 Last September LSI promised to solve problem in two months time. Months or years? Nobody know.
Somebody told me only way to use the feeder could be buy one more SF 6.6 specially made for LD 5000. No way, sirs: forget my money in the future.

Return to “Nikon”