SF8 for Nikon LS8000 - Some features gone?

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

jlandecker
Visitor

SF8 for Nikon LS8000 - Some features gone?

Postby jlandecker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am

In anticipation of upgrading, I am running a demo copy of SF8, and there seems to be a few things from my 6.6 version that are missing in the new one:
- film strip offset: I found this very useful to get a good amount of overlap when scanning sections of 6x12 or 6x17 negatives for stitching.
- manual focus: again, for panoramic negatives, I liked to use manual to lock the focus and avoid the slight changes in magnification that can occur with changing focus.
- Preferences - prescan AF disabled: saved some time.
- Preferences - super fine scan setting: essential to avoid banding with the LS 8000
- Film overview dialog - with negative film, the preview is the negative instead of an inverted version as in 6.x

The interface and performance improvements are nice, but some of these are pretty important features that seem to be omitted... can someone from LaserSoft comment on this?

Thanks,

Jim

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: SF8 for Nikon LS8000 - Some features gone?

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:32 am

Dear Jim,

the filmstrip offset tool was deemed no longer necessary because of SilverFast's improved filmstrip recognition.
But a request for it's reintegration has already been forwarded to our product management.
The advanced Focus options will be available in one of our next updates.
The super-finescan is always in use.
The filmstrip overview will also be enhanced in the next updates.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

golem_scan
Visitor

Postby golem_scan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey Arne, I just wanted to second Jim's request. Not having the offset tool in version 8 has been incredibly frustrating. Anytime I scan the last strip of film from a roll of 120, the lab process sticker throws off the frame alignment, also scanning Widelux panoramic images has been frustrating. It has forced me to have to cut my negs up just to scan one frame, which I've never had to do the dreaded Nikon Scan software. Could we please have the offset tool back?

- Preferences - super fine scan setting: It would be great to be able to adjust this, I don't always want a super-fine scan.
- Film overview dialog - with negative film, the preview is the negative instead of an inverted version as in 6.x

It would be great to be able to fix the default save location to somewhere else besides the /Pictures folder. I was surprised to find we can't set a new default.

Cheers,
Josh

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your input.
I have forwarded your suggestions to our product management.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

vs
SilverFast Beginner

Postby vs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,

i have the same problem with my 8000. (OSX Lion).
The "improved filmstrip recognition" does not exist :-/
I have problems with 4,5x6, with 6x6, ect.
It really sucks.

Here's a screenshot

volker

Return to “Nikon”