Scanning 6x12 w/LS-9000

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

Forthmedia
Visitor

Scanning 6x12 w/LS-9000

Postby Forthmedia » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:34 am

I know the scanner doesn't support 6x12 natively so I'm scanning the negatives as two 6x7s (or 6x8's) HDRs and stitching them together. However I cannot figure out how to do this without taking the neagitive out and reversing it for the second scan. Anyone know a better way using Silverfast AI?

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Scanning 6x12 w/LS-9000

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Dear Forthmedia,

Could you please complete your description by telling us which holder are you using?

It is not very clear for me what you do you mean by "reversing" the negative for the second scan.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Forthmedia
Visitor

Postby Forthmedia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 am

Hi Alesandro

Sorry for the lack of detail.

I'm using the 120 glass film holder (FH 869G I think is the code). I insert a 6x12 negative, flush left in the holder and then select 6x8 eg for the size, and do a preview scan. The preview thinks it has two frames of course, and the first preview frame contains the "first" 8cm of the negative, the second just part of the end. This works fine for the first of my two scans. After that I need to scan the "last" 8cm of the image so that I can stitch the two together with a 2cm overlap. However I cannot seem to reposition the frame. (Even using the masks which come with the scanner. The only way I can scan the "last" 8cm of the negative is to take the film out the holder, and put it back the opposite way round, ie rotate it 180 degrees. This is a reasonable workaround, but I end up with one image that needs rotated before I can stitch it to the other, and because the vertical position in the holder might vary I usually lose a bit of the final image top and bottom. I really want to be able to reposition the scanning frame without having to remove the negative. I have tried to use the "frame reposition" tool, but I cannot figure out how to get it to work, or even whether it is intended for this purpose

Cheers

Richard

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 am

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your detailed explanation, as a matter of fact the scanner works in that way, we will implement in version 6.6.0r4 a film off-set correction tool so you can mark the ends of every negative.
The tool is in the test lab right now and then it has to be implemented within the application.

We appreciate your understanding and interest.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Forthmedia
Visitor

Postby Forthmedia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Alesandro

That sounds good - it will save me a lot of extra film handling. Meanwhile I can continue with the workaround

Cheers

Richard

Forthmedia
Visitor

Postby Forthmedia » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:15 am

(Thought I'd already replied to this)

That's good news, and I look forward to it. Currently I can also scan the 6x12's on an Imacon (Hasselblad) X5, but I have to rent and pay for that.

Any chance of getting hold of a beta release of the new version?

Thanks

Richard

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Dear Richard,

I would really love to give you hope on this one, however the person in charge of this project is not available at the moment, hence it is hard for me to tell when and also to provide you with a beta (pre-release) version.

Thanks for your understanding

Have a nice day
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging

Forthmedia
Visitor

Postby Forthmedia » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Ok - I'll wait

Cheers

Richard