Prescanning with SA-21

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

hellototo
Visitor

Prescanning with SA-21

Postby hellototo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:03 pm

I am using the latest version of Silverfast Ai (6.6.0r4c) with my Nikon Coolscan 5000 and the Nikon SA-21 film strip adapter.

When I insert the film strip it gets sucked into the adapter as usual, then I press prescan in Silverfast. Instead of prescanning the first frame (I am using strips of 4 or 6) Silverfast prescans a completely random part of the film strip, often halfway between the 2nd and 3rd frames but sometimes right towards the other end of the strip. This is extremely frustrating as I then have to overview, find either the first frame or the closest to the first frame shown in the overview (sometimes it won't even overview the first frame), load the prescan of that frame and use the compensate film offset button to get the first frame in view and lined up. Then I have to perform the overview again to get all the other frames lined up.

Am I missing something? Do I have a setting wrong? Or is this just one of Silverfast's quirks? I don't understand why Silverfast doesn't just prescan the first 38mm of film strip inserted every time.

Would appreciate your help!

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: Prescanning with SA-21

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am

Dear hellototo,
obviously this is not supposed to happen...
Do you have the same problem on all strips, or on mny or just on a few strips ??
I di dnot see this weird behaviour, if it is not a problem on all strips, can you see the difference ??
Maybe the strips with this problem are cut in a specific way ?

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

hellototo
Visitor

Postby hellototo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Hey Nils

I would say I get this problem on 80% of strips that I scan. I can't see anything about the strips that would cause this problem to occur. All my strips are 4 or 6 frames, with a straight and pretty square edge. I really can't see what could cause it. I didn't have this problem when using NikonScan (had other problems though!) so I can only assume it is something about the way Silverfast is communicating with the scanner. Are there offset settings in Silverfast that could either correct this problem or at least manage it?

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Dear hellototo,
this is strange, i will ask testing to verify this to see if this really is a general problem.
If so i can correct it, if not we have to find out what's so special about your setup !

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 am

Dear Hellototo,

We could verify the issue described by you, our programmers already worked on this and found a solution which will be available in SilverFast v 6.6.0r5 which will be released today.

Please download and install the update to the latest version today or tomorrow directly from our website at: https://www.silverfast.com/get_update/en.html

Thank you for your patience, we can only go further thanks to your colaboration.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Nikon”