Nikon & OS 10.5

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

dnobel
SilverFast Beginner

Nikon & OS 10.5

Postby dnobel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:50 pm

I have already reported this to SF tech support but am posting here for the benefit of others.

My Nikon Cool Scan V does NOT run properly in the current version of SilverFast Ai installed in Leopard, in spite of LaserSoft's claim of Leopard compatibility. Specifically, scans are very slow, with frequent pauses (possibly a USB buffering problem in Leopard?)

This problem also occurs for me with Nikon Scan 4 software in Leopard and has been confirmed by other Nikon scanner users on the Apple Leopard boards.

Nikon tech support is not claiming current compatibility with Leopard but says they hope to have updated drivers by year-end. No word yet from LaserSoft.

Because of this and other issues, I have returned to using Tiger, where the new SF works beautifully.

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Dear dnobel

well, to set the picture right (at least in my point of view), please know that SilverFast - at least right now - relies on the very same NikonMAID driver interface that Nikonscan does.

Also, we do not claim that compatility you say:
https://www.silverfast.com/show/leopard/en.html
and especially for the LS-40:
https://www.silverfast.com/product/Nikon/199/en.html

The latter provides a link to Nikon concerning IntelMacs, but can be read as "any changes necessary in our drivers to accomodate new things in imaging computing".

Currently, we are investigating whether we can develop a layer of connectivity to the Nikon scanners ourselves. Stay tuned.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- Manager Technical Support, LaserSoft Imaging AG -

dnobel
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dnobel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Sonny,

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct, your web site currently reflects the extent of SilverFast's effective Leopard compatibility as it relates to individual scanners. When the new SF Ai software was first released, I did not see this link.

Let's all hope that either Nikon or LaserSoft finds a solution for this soon!

dnobel
SilverFast Beginner

Postby dnobel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:39 am

I'm bumping my previous post to report that since installing Silverfast Ai Studio on a 2.2 GHz Core2 Duo MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.2, I am getting perfect scan functioning with my Cool Scan V ED with none of the previous issues. Scanning on the G5 tower with the same OS is still dysfunctional. However, I have heard others report the opposite: That is, good functioning in Leopard on a G5 but problems in Leopard on Intel Macs.

Return to “Nikon”