All the problems with Nikon film scanners

t0tor0
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon 8000ED
SilverFast Version: 6.5

Need some help on Black and White Scanning Techniques

Postby t0tor0 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 am

hi everyone,

need some help on the best way/flow to scan bw film.

i am using a 8000ED and usually scan TriX or HP5. I use the job manager feature, whereby i do a overview frame scan, add my images into the job manager, edit the images and do a batch scan of all the frames.

however, i have 3 issues:

1) output images: my output images don't look like what was edited at all! i wonder if the software renders any of my editing at all. it is "what u see is not really what u get" for silverfast or is there something wrong with my setting? i am using "scan type: 14 - 8bit grayscale".

2) file naming using the job manager: it seems like my file names are always "image 1, image 2,...". I have tried to change the file names using the "output settings" menu to the name i want but it seems that job manager is not using this. the name has to be changed under the main editor window, above the resolution settings. so i have to manually key in each file name as i edit each image. sometimes i can't change the name too! so confused... i am sure there is a faster way! perhaps someone can enlighten me!!!

3) how do i copy edited parameters onto another frame?

thanks!

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Need some help on Black and White Scanning Techniques

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:16 am

t0tor0 wrote:1) output images: my output images don't look like what was edited at all! i wonder if the software renders any of my editing at all. it is "what u see is not really what u get" for silverfast or is there something wrong with my setting? i am using "scan type: 14 - 8bit grayscale".

Have you applied the changes to all scanframes?
Did you start the job in the job-manager? (not using the Scan button)

t0tor0 wrote:2) file naming using the job manager: it seems like my file names are always "image 1, image 2,...". I have tried to change the file names using the "output settings" menu to the name i want but it seems that job manager is not using this. the name has to be changed under the main editor window, above the resolution settings. so i have to manually key in each file name as i edit each image. sometimes i can't change the name too! so confused... i am sure there is a faster way! perhaps someone can enlighten me!!!

Did you enter frame names?
If you do not want to use those and use the numbered settings in the output dialog the "ignore framename" option must be active.

t0tor0 wrote:3) how do i copy edited parameters onto another frame?

-Make your changes and save them.
-Reenter edit-mode
- then mark all frames you want data to be copied to.
- click the copy button in the job manager.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Anders_Tillgren
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon Coolscan V
SilverFast Product: SE Plus
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Postby Anders_Tillgren » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi,
I´ve almost the same problem. I´m scanning black & white film (35mm tri-x) and the result (a jpeg-file) becomes much darker and have a higher contrast than the preview-window. I have to compensate "brightness" to at least +8 to get a result that is ok. It´s very difficult to predict the result when you can´t trust the preview. What could I do to correct this problem?
/Anders

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Anders,

Could you please post some screenshots with the configuration you are using in SilverFast as well as the preview and the endscan to evaluate the issue?

Thanks
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Nikon”