All the problems with Nikon film scanners

xenaton
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED with scandig S1-21 front and SA-30 back
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Film

Postby xenaton » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Hello,

First of all excuse me for my english :)

I have bough silverfast sutdio 8 yesterday to scan my 35mm film Strip (i have made the last update of the software today)
As i use a nikon LS 5000 ED with SA-21 and SA-30 like that http://www.filmscanner.info/Bilder/Nikon5000SA30_2.jpg, i want to scan my film in batch processing.

I don't understand how it works to compensate film strip offset in silverfast 8...I have follow this tutorial : http://blog.silverfast.com/quicktip-scanning-35-mm-film-stripes-with-the-nikon-super-coolscan-5000-ed-sa-21-sa-31-filmholders/, but this fonction appears not exist in silverfast 8...

I have understood that i can ajust each views with the "preview" function and using the left and right arrows, but is there anyway to calibrate just one and have the rest to be ok automatically ?

Hope to be clear...

Thanks in advance

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Film

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

Dear customer,

currently it is only possible to adjust the images individually.
But I have already sent a request regarding moving all frames at once to our product management.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

xenaton
Visitor

Postby xenaton » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Arne,

And thanks for your answer ! :)

I have tried a lot of different filmstrips, and each time, it appears that the scanner (or software ?) does not recognize correctly the beginning.

Just like this user :

The consequence of the problem is that i get the black delimitation between each views that i have to move individually to fit well and of course the gap is getting bigger and bigger as i go foward in the filmstrip. So each time i have to press more and more longer on the right arrow because the offset is accentuated in the course of the 36 views.

At the end, it is so long that the scanner eject the filmstrip, and i have to do it again. (the scanner eject the filmstrip when no use during a long time). :-?

This make me the software useless.

Maybe you can help without the function of moving all frames by one ?

Thanks

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 am

Dear customer,

This mostly happens when the first image does not have a small unexposed film part in front of it.
That bar is what the Nikon searches for when it tries to detect the beginning of the film.
SilverFast has no influence on this because the film beginning is detected by the scanner hardware.

The time based film eject is also a function the scanner executes automatically.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

xenaton
Visitor

Postby xenaton » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:04 am

I well understand that the auto-eject is input in scanner hardware. I don't blame silverfast for that.

But to speak clearly i came from another software (v**s**n) witch let me set a number for offset entire film default.
I purchase Silverfast because it seems to really improve the quality of my pictures. The money investment is not insignificant for silverfast, specially for a coolscan 5000, but with the problem i described above, as i says i can purely not use it.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Dear customer,

I have already requested the function for a future update.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Nikon”