Silverfast AI 6.0.IR44 Upgrade and the Microtek 4000TF

All the problems with Microtek film scanners

fstop
Visitor

Silverfast AI 6.0.IR44 Upgrade and the Microtek 4000TF

Postby fstop » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:54 pm

Can't get this release to work. Getting error message "No Scanner found." Noticed that the update only mentions SCSI and USB. 4000tf for Windows ships with firewire (and USB). Wondering if others experiencing same issue or upgrade not intended for firewire users? I question this because the 4000 did not have firewire option.

LSI_Belli
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Belli » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:03 pm

Did you get your scanner to work?

Remember to switch off the "scanner finder" program from Microtek which interfers with SilverFast (it appears in the Windows task bar at the bottom right).

Thomas

fstop
Visitor

Postby fstop » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:07 am

I did get Silverfast to work. I grew tired of waiting for an answer from Silverfast's e-mail support team (still waiting, in fact) and elected to contact the fee based service. Turned out Silverfast has a known problem with Windows Me and Firewire. Ended up having to nuke my system and migrate from Win Me to Win2k (XP did not load). Found myself without a computer for a bit of time.

As for the button on the task bar, I found a post somewhere referring to that and spent some time looking for it with Microtek support. Learned Scanwizard for the 4000tf does not have that control (called a "button Manager") in the load.

Bottom line is Scanwizard always ran perfectly. The issue was with Silverfast and Win Me (using firewire). Once I got rid of Me, Silverfast began working fine.

As an aside, the Me - Win2k migration is a bear. Per Microsoft, this is not a supported migration path. If you are running Me and can't go to XP, the only work around (per Microsoft Support) is a reformat and clean OS load. The MS folks were incredably tenacious in search of a solution and stuck with the problem to the end. That said, it is not fun. Suggest others in the same circumstance connect via USB till it is time for a system upgrade.

Return to “Microtek”