Problems with Negative Scanning on Microtek 120tf

All the problems with Microtek film scanners

Linder040
Visitor

Problems with Negative Scanning on Microtek 120tf

Postby Linder040 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello-
I've been doing scans with Color Chromes, and that has been going fine (except for some spacing issues between the images). Now that I'm scanning Negatives (using Fugi NPH400 film), the spacing is a little larger between the images, so it becomes extremely difficult to scan images in the middle of a row (negatives are cut into strips of 5 images). Not only that, but only the first image in the overview batch seems to have the correct saturation. All the subsequent images look washed out.
Also, when I do a preview of the first image of the overview, scratches and dust are much more apparent than they are using positive scans, and the color saturation isn't nearly as good.
Any suggestions?

sbosman
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby sbosman » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:04 am

Hi

Well, most of your problems are related to scanning in general, not particularly to your scanner or Silverfast.

Regarding spacing and exact locations of frames on a film strip with Silverfast, what I do is that I select a scan size larger than the actual frames and make a selection in the preview. You can also use the offset tool to adjust the frame start or end. You can use the job manager to store different previews with their own settings and then run all the final scans in a batch.

For the colour saturation of the subsequent images, maybe having the frame seperation strip in the scan makes Silverfast adjust your picture wrongly. Retry with proper frame selection.

Scratches and dust are more apparent on negatives because they appear as white, while on positive they appear as black. Used correctly, the dust removal feature in SilverFast actually works, but I much prefer the equivalent tool in PhotoShop. It works as well and I am much more productive with the PhotoShop one.

Return to “Microtek”