Multi-format glass holder with Artixscan 120tf

All the problems with Microtek film scanners
sbosman
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Multi-format glass holder with Artixscan 120tf

Postby sbosman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:46 pm

The multi-format adapter support is still very disapointing. These are the problems I have with it:

- There is a very annoying bug when I try to use the Job Manager. The frame positions are not well memorized by Silverfast. At scan time, the frames are scanned with random offsets, making the Job Manager useless and hurting the productivity. This happens with both the glassless medium-format holder and the glass multi-format holder.

- In the format choice, there is no provision for 35mm and 35mm panoramic. The 1.6 firmware release main purpose was to introduce that. Not supporting the 35mm format with the glass holder removes an important functionality of the scanner. I have noticed that 35mm panoramic support is enabled when the 35mm filmstrip holder is inserted. This is useless, since that holder has bounderies between each 24x36 picture. 35mm panoramic and 24x36 formats should be available when the glass holder is inserted.

- Quite often, when Silverfast tries to move the holder towards the 4th 6x6 frame, the scanner will start to emit a *very* lound sound, not unlike a boat blowing its horn in the mist! When that happens, I have to cancel the current operation.

None of this happens with ScanWizard Pro 7.1.5 and I don't find that this is acceptable for a software supposedly geared towards professional users.

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:22 am

Dear sbosman

though both, LaserSoft Imaging and LaserSoft Inc., are located pretty near the seaside, we certainly haven't implemented a "boat horn feature" into the SilverFast software ;)

Of course I would like to examine the problems experienced by you very closely. Please assist us in providing the SF_Logfile and the SF Statistics to SilverFast support.

You can easily do so via the problem report form: http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport/en.html
The necessary files can be simply copy-pasted into the text field of the form.

On a Mac OS X PC you will find the SF_Logfile in /Users/(your username)/Library/Preferences/LaserSoft Imaging.

On a Windows 2000 or XP system the SF_Logfile is placed within /Documents and Settings/(your username)/Application Data/LaserSoft Imaging.
If you haven't yet changed the standard setting of the Windows Explorer you won't see any folder "Application Data". You then want to open the folder options dialogue (from "Extras" the menu) and go to the "View" tab. There you can enable the Explorer to show you hidden and system files and folders as well as displaying the contents of system folders.

On older operating systems like Windows 98/ME or Mac OS 9 you will most probably find the SF_Logfile within the the program folder of Adobe Photoshop /Plugins/Import-Export/(SilverFast).

You could of course also you the search function of your system to find the "SF_Logfile". Please make sure that you will be shown hidden and system files. The SF_Logfile is always created anew when SilverFast is started up, even if no scanner can be found, it will be created.

I also would need a file called "SF Statistics" which lists the details on the scan settings which seem to be problematic on your machine.
You can generate it from the (button on the horizontal panel in the settings window:) "Expert Dialogue" -> button "Output Statistics" [see a screenshot at: viewtopic.php?p=10289 ].

Thanks in advance for your co-operation.

Return to “Microtek”