Microtek 4000t. and silverfast. Help Please!

All the problems with Microtek film scanners

gordon
Visitor

Microtek 4000t. and silverfast. Help Please!

Postby gordon » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Help! Please. Can some kind soul instruct me how to focus Microtek 4000t in silverfast vesion 6.1. Also in options for setting up defaults. Is it correct to select white as the hue not to scan. ie:. Colours are r, g. b. and white.
Thank you in advance Gordon (UK). :roll:

LSI_Belli
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Belli » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:16 pm

Dear Gordon,

1. If I remember right, there is not much to do to focus with the AS4000t. The autofocus performed in the final scan can be switched off on the left hand side of the preview window (see http://www.computer-darkroom.com/sf5-negafix/edit.htm).

You can switch off the AF for the prescan in the "Option \ Special" panel.

2. Selecting the entry "White" is correct: it means that you perform a scan with the three RGB channels (it is not a color selective scan).

Thomas

gordon
Visitor

Postby gordon » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:51 pm

HI, Thomas, thanck for your reply.
The information for selecting white works ok.

But option\ special panel. i can`t find anything there ref for focusing. or in the link to computer-darkroom.

When i click on focus icon by side of preview window all i get is notice saying autofocus off no autofocus setting-but what comes up in preview window is a circle like a gun site -round with cross hairs and small circle in centre of cross hairs. if this is for manual focusing I cant`t get anything to happen.

Thanks once again for your reply. regards Gordon.
I did e-mail support but have not had a reply.

Am not at all happy with silverfast from this point of view. and not friendly user instructions . :roll:

Gregory C
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert
Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED
Microtek 5700
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby Gregory C » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:16 pm

the focus tool has 4 stages; Off, Auto, Manual and Point. if you can see the cross-hairs, you're in stage Point where you get to specify where the focus point is.

if you want auto focus, click the tool two more times.

from the SF Ai v5.5 manual, the stages are identified as:

Off - button is faded
Auto - there is an A below the lens icon
Manual - there is neither an A or a P below the lens icon
Point - there is a P below the lens icon

this information is not included in the pdf manuals that now accompany SF v6.1, but the complete manuals are available from Documentation. you might want to download and peruse through them to learn more about SF.

that said, I have read the complete SF Ai v5.5 manual (soft cover printed manual that accompanied the original SF Ai Nikon disc), have used SF Ai extensively for the last 18 months and I'm still learning how to use and master SF's various features. it's a very powerful software.

regards
Gregory

gordon
Visitor

Reply to Gregory.

Postby gordon » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:24 pm

HI Gregory, thank you for your reply to my help message.

What ever the state of the focus icon ie: when a is there etc, if i hold cursor over icon message always says-NO autofocus, in fact icon is either Greyed out or with A. no other state seems possible.

When cross hairs is visable cannot move them at all.

When I first installed Microteks own software I remember ihad to enable focus. But installing silverfast could not find anything of that nature.

Its got me pulling my one hair (grey) in dispair.

I have had no reply from silverfast support despite several e-mails from me and from administrater.

LSI_Belli
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Belli » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:29 am

Dear Gordon,

as I wrote it a couple of days ago, you can only switch the autofocus on or off. There is no way to select the focus point. Gregory gave you a link to our documentation; a lot of information is provided there. I advise you to download the complete manual, you then have all you need at once :D.

As far as the AF for the prescan is concerned. Click on the "Option" button in the main SilverFast dialogue, the choose the "Special" panel: you'll find here an option to switch the AF just for the prescan.

Our support team tries to answer questions as expeditiously as possible.

Thomas

gordon
Visitor

Microtek focusing

Postby gordon » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:10 am

HI , I have just tried special panel there is no option to swich AF.
IN fact have tried this last time you replied.

I have read the section in the manual that you suggest .
The Icon when cursor is over it always says no auto focus-Whatever I have tried. So what is happening. Is it focusing at all??

I am now wondering- Is Silverfast compatable with my Microtek?

Serial No. 3882A685.

LSI_Belli
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Belli » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:26 pm

Dear Gordon,

The focusing button only has two states for your scanner (grayed out - OFF - or with an "A" - ON). Normally you can hear if the autofocus is performed: it is a kind of "jaggy" sound.

As far as the option \ special panel is concerned. If you do not see the check box "Prescan without AF", it could be a bug. Which SF version do you have (e.g. 6.1.0r1) ? Which OS? Which scanner and which FirmWare?

Thomas

gordon
Visitor

Postby gordon » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:44 pm

LSI_Belli wrote:Dear Gordon,

The focusing button only has two states for your scanner (grayed out - OFF - or with an "A" - ON). Normally you can hear if the autofocus is performed: it is a kind of "jaggy" sound.

As far as the option \ special panel is concerned. If you do not see the check box "Prescan without AF", it could be a bug. Which SF version do you have (e.g. 6.1.0r1) ? Which OS? Which scanner and which FirmWare?

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

y scanner is Microtek 4000t. silverfast 5.5 updated to 6.01 with negfix.windows xp.Pro. scanner is on a scsi card.....Firmware? Don`t understand.

Thanks Thomas for your patience.
PS when I first got scanner and installed I used the scanwizard software that came with Microtek. as far as i remember it said about,- You have to enable auto focus.
Of course when I insalled silverfast , as iwas told this was better than scanwizard (microtecs own) I can`t recall seeing in instructions any where about enabling focus, I asume this was automatic on installing.

By the way I did uninstall scanwizard software before installing silverfast.

Regards Gordon.

Return to “Microtek”